The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Ok Guys..Time to vote please. Short or Long Route Piping??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigLGST

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 17, 2003
Chicago, Illinois
Ok man....I just wanted to know everyones opinions. Is short route piping really that much better than standard piping. I think short route is SOOOOOOOOOOO "over rated"!! But I dont know is it just me or WTF????? Like any1 have some numbers I can take a look at??? Cuz I just been arguin with a friend of mine for sooooo long about this and he says its 10x better than standard i just dont see how its sooo much better of course its a shorter route but what does it matter???????

The only reason to go with long route piping, that I can see, is that if you already have a UICP and BOV combo you're in love with and don't want to get rid of it. Otherwise, short route is the way to go. It clears up space in the wheel well where the stock SMIC was so you can put something else there, such as a cold air intake. Or, if you're A/T, a nice aftermarket tranny cooler.

Ok maybe good points, but I just dont see how much faster it can get there from a pipe being about 6 inches shorter. That just doesnt seem worth it. Plus w/ long route you can put a GM MAS on the UICP and and "removing the MAF from the intake means just filter straight to the turbo" which in means you have no restrictions which means you would have a faster spool up. I just think this long route piping would perform A LOT better than short.

It's not the straight pipes that cause the pressure drop as much as the BENDS that cause the pressure drop.

Long route has no benefits, they ONLY reason it is used is so you can still keep the stock piping to save money.

ya u could use the gm maft set up with a short route just get the pipes cut between the t/b and the bov and hook up the gm mas there u go same thing and still better spool up sense its shorter

You convinced me BigLGST. I think the long route is waaaaaaaaaaay better for you. I however, will go short route. Everything I have ever read said that you want the turbo as close to the TB as possible for a responsive motor.

this is easy to decide i mean wouldnt u rather walk in a straight line to the store instead of around a few blocks. i know i would rather walk straight because its easier, less tiring, plus its quicker same thing with the piping, short route is quicker, helps the engine keep moving. and all around looks better LOL. its ok leo your fmic is acutally a goo long route all your piping is on one side so its not like the greddy.

DSMparts.com already has a pipe to be used as a blow through with a short route front mount too so that can't even be argued anymore.

Sorry bro, just went back and checked it out, I didn't even notice you had a 2g, its for a 1g with a front mount. It would probably work anyway but it is listed for a 1g under intercooler pipes.

www.slowboyracing.com
www.ahpproducts.com

They both offer FMIC kits with short route piping, and the AHP site has pics. It also makes it very easy to setup a blow-through style MAF also. Just requires a little trimming and some couplers for the MAF. I would like to see how the SBR FMIC is routed, although AHP will route the race kit any way you want it.

Short Route really isn't a whole lot shorter...but it does look nicer and does have less bends.

Is spool up really faster....no
Think about it, you have an engine that is using up 2.0L of air every 4 revs...right .5L per cyl. Each cylinder fires once every 2 revs. So in 4 revs the engine has fired each cyl once...ok.

Your at 3000rpms. Close to spool up time for smaller turbos. 3000/2=1500 (I divided by two because other wise I divide by 4 revs and multiply by 2 liters...) I did the math right, right?

so that "means" your engine uses 1500L of air/min, throw boost into it, and your turbo must be able to push more than that amount of air to create boost...

That is a basic idea...you can go and argue about throtle position, Volumetric effiency, head flow ratings...etc. Which would probably turn out that the car is using considerably less than 1500L air/min at 3000rpms but the idea remains the same.

The amount of piping is very small, and its not hard to "fill" the pipes with pressure, whether long or short...and would not effect spool up time. The size of the IC may effect pressure drop across it...
I think the main benifits of short route are, less clutter, and probably better flowing...especially 2.5".

Originally posted by 13secGST

Think about it, you have an engine that is using up 2.0L of air every 4 revs...right .5L per cyl. Each cylinder fires once every 2 revs. So in 4 revs the engine has fired each cyl once...ok.

Wrong.

Each cylinder fires once every 2 revs, which means that in 2 revs the motor has fired each cylinder once, and in 4 revs it has fired each cylinder twice.

One rev means 360 degrees of crank rotation, when means that all of the pistons come to TDC. Half of them fire.

Originally posted by eclipsegsx9797
short route is better then long and this thread just proves it
Technically, a bunch of internet jockeys (me included) chiming in with their opinion doesn't "prove" anything, but I understand what you're saying.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back