The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pimp4110

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 6, 2002
Buffalo_N.Y.
i usually run mobil 1 in my 91 talon but this last weekend i stopped at a gas station and checked my oil after driving about 150 miles and i was 2 quarts low i had to put regular 10w30 in there my question is is it ok to mix the synthetic and regular oil.

No.

Do an oil change ASAP.

Don't get me wrong, its good that you added oil, because you enver want to drive your car 2 quarts low on oil, but at your earliest opportunity you should get that out of there, since mixing oils isn't exactly recommended.

The dipstick was dry. I just put one quart in it was still dry so i put in another and it was ok then. i checked cuz i could smell the oil burning and it was my first actuall trip of more than 5-10 miles.

You're going to smell that from time to time. In my car, as well as all older T/E/L, the rubber bushing on the dip stick tends to dry rot and shrink. This will cause the dip stick to pop up (not out just up). There have been a couple of times where I have seen a little smoke from the oil burning off of the manifold after hard driving. At this point it is just best to replace the dip stick.

I have a 91TSI AWD and I do run Syntec...however I will be replacing the engine, and I was wondering if it will be ok when I have the oil changed to go back to a regular oil.

TSI...Eli

synthetic oil and base oil are compatible . its okay to mix brands in a situation like that just dont mix viscosities that is bad.

There is a big misconception about sythetics not being compatible. They are compatible... GETBOOSTED is correct that it is a good idea to stay with the same wieght oil, but in your situation you had to do what you had to do. The major difference between synthetics and regular motor oil is that the molecules in synthetic oils are all uniform in size....that creates less friction than regular motor oils as molecules are sliding ocer one another and also allows all the crevices in the metals to fill in better.

Choice of engine oils are basically by personal preference. Everyone will tell you a different brand to use. They all have to meet certain current requirements to wear the SAE label. Which means they are all basically the same. Some may add more detergents than others but the bottom line is that the oils today are better than the oils that were on the market when the fist Eclipse ever hit the road. Z-max is basically just adding more of the same additives to the oil as already come in the oil. So save your money on that and change your oil on schedule.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back