The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil Venting out of VC valve

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSTurbo1

10+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2012
Pickens, SC, South_Carolina
Ok guys, I did a valve cover gasket replace about a month ago and am losing oil through the VC valve on my valve cover (I believe is the smaller one that does not vent back into intake). It was not leaking from her before, or shortly after the replace. Should I take the cover off and check the inside of the VC valve? I don't know what to do and cant figure out why its venting from here.

Its the small valve with the little breather on the side.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

does it "spray" or "mist" when you boost?

Sounds like your pressurizing the head if its comming outa there. that should suck only. Id run it to the intake side of your turbo to help scavenge. I take it your not running any sort of upgraded PCV with catch can? ( doesnt look so..)

Ok it was not doing this before... why would it happen now?

it seems to be spraying, I ordered a catch can, how should I run the catch can if it is doing this? Oh and I overfilled the oil before this started happening. Could that have something to do with it.

It could.

if you look up in the right hand corner of the forum, theres a box called "Search". Use that. Put in something like PCV, or catch can.. as its been beat to death.

Why is it happening now? who know? mayb your getting blow by and the rings are going, mayb your valve seals are shot (thats why i asked ). When my valve seals were wrong, i would "mist" oil thru my VC gasket b.c i was leaking boost into my head, but it would only happen at boost. Some how boost is getting into your head and blowing oil out. i would check to see where, besides the filter, that its coming from.. oil pressu guage? what are u runnign for oil PSI?

I run mine like this

VC Nipple >---------O(catch can)>-----boomba check valve>---TB
vc side nipple>-------Turbo intake / airfilter

Ill have to check on the orientation of my check valve, but its critical. Youll notice that that leaves the port on the IM, block it. In your catch can, id suggest get one with a window and some material ( you can use steel wool) to catch and trap the oil. the window allows you to see whats going on. Boomba has a nice one, but youll pay for it..

I dont understand what you mean by TB vc side nipple, or talking about the port on the IM, and block it. I feel like I understand for the most part but am getting a lil confused.

well... I figured it out, my pcv was bad, allowing the turbo to pressurize the head from the IM via the faulty pcv valve. Now I just have to figure out why oil is venting out of my dipstick tube.

Hmm thats not great. ## crank case shouldnt be pressurized either. Could again be rings or something in the head.. my bet is ## still presurizing the head.. the pcv wont nessacerily be the fix.if ## pressureizing the head it will find a way out. If pcv isnt the weak link now.. then must be ## dipstick. My guess is leaky seals.. leakdown test is in your future

well the dipstick wont seal in the tube that its supposed to fit in. Could that be the problem? I will get a new dipstick and do a leak down test. But say if my engine is running normally... if the dipstick does not seat in and seal like it should would it blow small amounts of oil out under hard acceleration?

well the dipstick wont seal in the tube that its supposed to fit in. Could that be the problem? I will get a new dipstick and do a leak down test. But say if my engine is running normally... if the dipstick does not seat in and seal like it should would it blow small amounts of oil out under hard acceleration?

if you have oil coming on of your valve cover and your dipstick is popping out my guess is that you have "blow by" an your rings are shit, blow by is more commin with the 4g63"s but happens with all cars.

well it was coming from the valve covers but that was from the pcv valve allowing the turbo to bent pressure straight into the head. I fixed that and now am still having it come for the crank case, however I cant get my dipstick to seal into the tube to begin with.

Over-filling your oil should be the first thing you correct. The hash-mark range on the dipstick is about 1 quart of oil. Fix that first.

The oil coming out of your dipstick tube is not a "cause" sort of issue, you don't need to "fix" the dipstick or tube. You need to find out why there's oil coming out of there in the first place which is going to be excessive crankcase pressure.

A low quality PCV valve can fail even if it's new and this will allow boost pressure to fill the valve cover and crankcase thereby pushing out oil any where it can.

You can temporarily (i.e. a day or two for testing purposes) remove the PCV valve, cap off the intake manifold port for it and then drive it again to see if you still push out oil from the dipstick tube. You can either leave the PCV valve hanging or cap off/install a second filter on there for your test driving.

SOME crankcase pressure is normal. If you had a gauge accurate enough to measure it then you'd probably see a pound or so of pressure. The PCV system is designed to pull out the pressure and the fumes so it can be burned in the combustion chamber under load-low/high manifold vacuum conditions. Under boost or in the event of a back-fire, this PCV valve spring should be strong enough to close the passage and prevent pressurizing of the crankcase.

A cylinder leak-down test would yield more accurate results though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back