The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

oil turns red??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacline

Proven Member
Oct 6, 2012
new richmond, Wisconsin
Hey all. Another problem i have to tackle. Swear there's little gremlins living in my motor. Anyway after say about 300 miles after an oil change the oil seems diluted and is a red color. And usualy have to add a quart after about 800 miles. Would a leaky injector cause the oil to turn red? Also i noticed it right after a fuel.filter change. Before the filter change the oil was always clean looking.

Haha no, its a Manual. Its not atf fluid! And not dex cool. Has to be gas right?

Yes it does. Does gas diluting the oil make it a red color? Ive never encountered this on any car i.have owned.

Interesting..I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread to see why the oil is red..I really want to find out..

Umm hey, so red like atf or redish like rust? You said its a stick, so it cant be atf getting in there..

What color coolant do you use? Maybe, somehow, your coolant is getting in with your oil.

Besides that, definitely test a mixture of your oil with whatever kind of gas you use.

Lastly, someone may have poured red Kool-Aid in with your oil. Go to the nearest 7/11 and buy red Kool-Aid, proceed to mix the Kool-Aid with a sample of your oil.

Maybe your rings are on their way out. When was the last time you did a compression test?

Sounds like gasoline is mixing. And if that's the case, best to solve the problem before it takes out your bearings.

Ill update as soon as i get my new injectors. I use the yellow prestone coolent. No coolent leaks. Another strange thing is it had a fair amount of of blow by, when i re arranged the injectors...
The oil cap had suction. This car is strange. Haha. Ill update soon. And not rusty color... its like blood red. Everytime i have to change oil...300 miles and its red. Dilutes and burns quickly.

You may not have leaky injectors, but a system that is running rich all the time causing the saturation of fuel in the oil.

Are you running without a T-stat, per chance?

Agree with others: with 800 miles to add a quart, rings could be tired, valve guides also tired, or your PCV valve isns't doing it's thing which will also raise oil consumption .... and eventually blow out the two main crank seals due to high crankcase pressure.

Good luck - DSM

Did you get your oil change done at a shop, or did you do it yourself. Some shops tend to put red or fluorescent dye into the oil when they change your oil if they see leaks anywhere when doing the oil change. The last shop i worked at did it, it was a sales tactic to show customers on their next visit where oil was leaking from, and most of the time the customers were not informed of the dye being added. I thought it was wrong, nothing on a person's car should ever be fixed/touched without them knowing. But it's a possibility if you had your car serviced at a garage.

I'd recommend buying an oil like ams or Shaffer and run it then send them a sample for testing and you will find out exactly what's going on

Wow, gas and oil being mixed gets red huh. Yeah...

Anyway I used to collect all my waste oil in a jug and add a litte gasoline to get small bon fires started. I must be blind because I never saw it turn red. But that's just my personal experience.

In all due actuality, Oil does go into an auburn color when slightly used (and if burnt), but red (like an ATF red) could be his definition of the auburn color but not the actual color as what we know what the color of red is.

ive had gas saturated in my oil before. It was no where near a red or auburn color. There was 4.5 qts oil and i drained enough out of my oil pan to fill a 10 quart pan of gas and oil. there was 6000 miles on the oil it should of been black but it was grayish kinda weird color.

It wouldn't matter on the coolant. I've done many head jobs with dex cool ran in them and the oil and dex cool combined still looks like chocolate milk. But the red tint. Man that's crazy. I would say like the other guy said. Take a cup of oil you use and the same kind of gas you use and mix it together. But you have me stumped. Defiantly subscribing. Good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back