1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

oil turns red??

Posted by sacline, Jan 17, 2013

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. sacline

sacline Proven Member

Joined Oct 6, 2012
    new richmond, Wisconsin
    Hey all. Another problem i have to tackle. Swear there's little gremlins living in my motor. Anyway after say about 300 miles after an oil change the oil seems diluted and is a red color. And usualy have to add a quart after about 800 miles. Would a leaky injector cause the oil to turn red? Also i noticed it right after a fuel.filter change. Before the filter change the oil was always clean looking.

2. pur97tsifwd

pur97tsifwd Proven Member

Joined Jan 31, 2006
    Nevada, Missouri
    Do you have a auto transmission?

589  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.600 @ 101.000 · 1G DSM
  3. sacline

sacline Proven Member

Joined Oct 6, 2012
    new richmond, Wisconsin
    Haha no, its a Manual. Its not atf fluid! And not dex cool. Has to be gas right?

4. DSM1G90

DSM1G90 Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2008
    Nampa, Idaho
    Does the oil smell of fuel ?

2K  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    · 1G DSM
  5. sacline

sacline Proven Member

Joined Oct 6, 2012
    new richmond, Wisconsin
    Yes it does. Does gas diluting the oil make it a red color? Ive never encountered this on any car i.have owned.

6. n0de

n0de Proven Member

Joined Sep 22, 2012
    Bolingbrook, Illinois
    Mini Jesus has turned your oil into wine.

2K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  7. Bud92gsx

Bud92gsx Proven Member

Joined Jan 16, 2008
    Wisconsin, Wisconsin
    Interesting..I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread to see why the oil is red..I really want to find out..

Umm hey, so red like atf or redish like rust? You said its a stick, so it cant be atf getting in there..

5K  20  14

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.300 @ 102.400 · 1G DSM
  8. sciondan

sciondan Proven Member

Joined Oct 27, 2011
    valley, Illinois
    If your thinking leaky injector, take a cup of oil and mix in some gas to see if it changes to the color your seeing.

283  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  9. 2gnt99

2gnt99 Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2012
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    What color coolant do you use? Maybe, somehow, your coolant is getting in with your oil.

Besides that, definitely test a mixture of your oil with whatever kind of gas you use.

Lastly, someone may have poured red Kool-Aid in with your oil. Go to the nearest 7/11 and buy red Kool-Aid, proceed to mix the Kool-Aid with a sample of your oil.

10. DOHCTA

DOHCTA Proven Member

Joined Sep 24, 2007
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Maybe your rings are on their way out. When was the last time you did a compression test?

Sounds like gasoline is mixing. And if that's the case, best to solve the problem before it takes out your bearings.

656  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  11. crazyquik22023

crazyquik22023 Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2008
    Akron, Ohio
    Gas is more than likely mixing with your oil. A high oil to gas mixture can produce a redish color.

850  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    12.900 @ 115.000 · 2G DSM
  12. sacline

sacline Proven Member

Joined Oct 6, 2012
    new richmond, Wisconsin
    Ill update as soon as i get my new injectors. I use the yellow prestone coolent. No coolent leaks. Another strange thing is it had a fair amount of of blow by, when i re arranged the injectors...
    The oil cap had suction. This car is strange. Haha. Ill update soon. And not rusty color... its like blood red. Everytime i have to change oil...300 miles and its red. Dilutes and burns quickly.

13. xrdgx

xrdgx Proven Member

Joined Sep 24, 2006
    springfield, Ohio
    Gas is mixing with the oil,you definitely have leaky seals

14. DSM1G90

DSM1G90 Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2008
    Nampa, Idaho
    You may not have leaky injectors, but a system that is running rich all the time causing the saturation of fuel in the oil.

Are you running without a T-stat, per chance?

Agree with others: with 800 miles to add a quart, rings could be tired, valve guides also tired, or your PCV valve isns't doing it's thing which will also raise oil consumption .... and eventually blow out the two main crank seals due to high crankcase pressure.

Good luck - DSM

2K  0

· 1G DSM
  15. bewstin

bewstin Proven Member

Joined Dec 4, 2012
    Groton, Connecticut
    Did you get your oil change done at a shop, or did you do it yourself. Some shops tend to put red or fluorescent dye into the oil when they change your oil if they see leaks anywhere when doing the oil change. The last shop i worked at did it, it was a sales tactic to show customers on their next visit where oil was leaking from, and most of the time the customers were not informed of the dye being added. I thought it was wrong, nothing on a person's car should ever be fixed/touched without them knowing. But it's a possibility if you had your car serviced at a garage.

536  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  16. HOOCH256

HOOCH256 Probationary Member

Joined Dec 3, 2012
    Kalispell, Montana
    I'd recommend buying an oil like ams or Shaffer and run it then send them a sample for testing and you will find out exactly what's going on

17. NHerron

NHerron Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Missoula, Montana
    Wow, gas and oil being mixed gets red huh. Yeah...

Anyway I used to collect all my waste oil in a jug and add a litte gasoline to get small bon fires started. I must be blind because I never saw it turn red. But that's just my personal experience.

1K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.230 @ 127.000 · 2G DSM
  18. DSM1G90

DSM1G90 Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2008
    Nampa, Idaho
    In all due actuality, Oil does go into an auburn color when slightly used (and if burnt), but red (like an ATF red) could be his definition of the auburn color but not the actual color as what we know what the color of red is.

2K  0

· 1G DSM
  19. northernawd

northernawd Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2012
    yellowknife, NT, YK, Canada
    post a picture possibly of the red oil?

20. jrs187

jrs187 Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    sutherland, Iowa
    ive had gas saturated in my oil before. It was no where near a red or auburn color. There was 4.5 qts oil and i drained enough out of my oil pan to fill a 10 quart pan of gas and oil. there was 6000 miles on the oil it should of been black but it was grayish kinda weird color.

277  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  21. NHerron

NHerron Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Missoula, Montana
    I think we need a pic of this. Take a drop of the oil and wipe on a paper towel and make sure of the color. And what oil are you using?

1K  0

22. DSM1G90

DSM1G90 Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2008
    Nampa, Idaho
    6K miles on that oil SHOULD be coal black as mentioned ... Greyish color spells coolant mixture in the oil.

2K  0

· 1G DSM
  23. FearlessNick

FearlessNick Proven Member

Joined Jan 3, 2011
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    It wouldn't matter on the coolant. I've done many head jobs with dex cool ran in them and the oil and dex cool combined still looks like chocolate milk. But the red tint. Man that's crazy. I would say like the other guy said. Take a cup of oil you use and the same kind of gas you use and mix it together. But you have me stumped. Defiantly subscribing. Good luck!

340  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 2G DSM
  24. Dices6112

Dices6112 Probationary Member

Joined Jan 7, 2013
    Haverhill, Massachusetts
    Damn RED.....

25. NHerron

NHerron Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Missoula, Montana
    Damn probies and their post count tactics...

1K  0