The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

oil smoke after idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

true4139

Probationary Member
May 25, 2015
Chester, Maryland
Hey guys I'm new to dsm and auto mechanics in general I bought a 97 gst spyder did simple work myself and even changed the alternator myself with the mechanic guide I bought but my problems now are smoke I think from oil but only after idling for a minute and my oil pressure drops on my gauge also for a while whenever I revved the engine high I would get a smacking/clicking noise or while driving and turning left......any thoughts for a newbie

If it only smokes after idling for a bit its probably valves stem seals. Oil pressure should drop at idle as compared to while driving. As for the clicking it sounds like a cv axle bearing or possibly wheel bearing. Check the inner and outer cv axle boots. If any of them are torn then chances are they have dirt and other contaminants in them and will need replacing. Hope this helps!

Also just as a note. Use some punctuation, your post is kind of hard to understand in places.

The clicking noise while turning is likely a bad axle. That shouldn't be too hard to diagnose.

The oil/smoke issue would be more difficult to figure out. Valve seals or the turbocharger are likely culprits.

To check the turbo, you can pull the intake pipe off and inspect it for pooling oil in the compressor inlet/pipe.

You can remove the intake or exhaust manifolds to inspect the valve stems for oil to confirm the valve seals. Not a fun or easy job there.

Lastly, I wouldn't worry too much about your oil pressure gauge. The factory gauge is horribly inaccurate.

Are you in Chester as in Chestertown?

I've had a few cars do this. And oil seals on the turbo were gone. I've got a buddies car that does this because he has a balance shaft delete. And oil pressure is so high that it pushes past the turbo seals and pours oil into the Intake piping. But it could be anything. I'd suggest changing oil and maybe running some rotella t 15w40 or something a bit thicker for summer

Stock gauges only display the presence of oil pressure, not a specific pressure. This is where users put in mechanical gauges to see specific pressures.
Thus, they're actually doing their job.
Why the drop is that oil thins down when it's hot, plus, you might have tired connecting rod bearings allowing pressure to go past them, or a tired oil pump. Try the 15w40 thick stuff to see if pressure goes up.
Plus, the smoking issue at idle leads to hardened valve guide seals. They need to be changed.
Clicking is CV axle boots have split open and spun all the grease out. This needs to be changed pronto, for if an axle separates, you're not going anywhere.

Good luck - DSM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back