The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Oil restrictor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gstclipse69

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2006
Columbia, South_Carolina
Ok guys I have been searching around for hours and I have read all of the oil restrictor threads. I just rebuilt my fp 18g and I am/was feeding from the oil filter housing. I was looking for a .078 restrictor and I was looking at fp's 1g and 2g oil lines and at there configuration. I know the restrictor restricts volume and not pressure. My question is on my current 4an oil line from the filter housing it goes to a banjo bolt that goes into my turbo. On fp's current oil lines they dont have banjo bolts and it is more of a 90 degree fitting that goes onto the turbo. Would the banjo bolt be acting as a restrictor? Like I said I was looking around for a restrictor and it kind of popped into my head, "what about the banjo bolt?" I was/am going to pull it off and check the diameter of the hole in the banjo bolt but I never really thought of this and it wasn't mentioned in any of the other oil restrictor threads.

Interestingly enough, from what I've found the guys that are running their Mitsu turbos from the filter housing and are using a banjo fitting at the turbo have much less oiling problems than the guys who use a straight -4AN fitting at the turbo.

The banjo itself will obviously slow down the flow by not allowing a straight-through flow of oil at the inlet of the turbo. The volume will still be there, but the pressure will be slightly disrupted.

A 1G oil supply line from the head has a restrictor built into the banjo end of the line at the turbo limiting oil flow through a .075" (approx) hole. The best way to source one of these turbos to absolutely guarantee that you'll never have oiling issues is from the head using a 1G supply line.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back