The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Oil pump sprocket hard to turn, NEED solid advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabenne

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 21, 2006
Racine, Wisconsin
So I found out my builder didnt put in any cam seals and ruined a timing belt on a fresh stroker... bought the new gates one, and put it on today... My concern is that the oil pump sproket was somewhat difficult to turn. When I put the first one on, I could easily turn it by hand ( NO BALANCE SHAFTS).... But when I went to put this one on it was difficult by hand, but turned over freely without any dead spots or sticking spots when I used a 13 mm wrench...

The first time, I had no oil in the engine, and it hadnt ever pressurized the oil.

My question is, after the engine has started, and oil pressure has been created... if you were to take the belt off and try to spin the oil pump... is it more difficult?

I wonder about the inner working of the oil pump... is there any reason that it would resist turning more because there is pressure built up within it?

I ran the engine and its running great... oil pressure is consistant...

BTW this is a brand new oil pump!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Sounds like something is wrong. Do you have the balance shaft in now that runs off the pump? I'd guess galling in the pump if you were cranking it without any lube.
You have to at least fill them with lubriplate when you install them. It helps prelube as well as create a vacuum to pull oil into the pump.

so are you telling me that it should be just as easy, to spin by hand, as it was before startup?

I want someone to tell me, can you just pull the timing belt off of a good motor and spin the oil pump sproket by hand easily or not???

The oil pump, should spin freely, new or not. If it doesn´t spin by hand no matter what, then there´s a problem. Usually a used pump won´t turn because of metal shavings stuck on it, which is not good to reuse it anyway after cleaning the shavings. If your´s is new, take it out, lube the balance shaft, reinstall it and test if it spins by hand. If you attempt to start the engine with a sticky pump, you might skip timing, bend valves and worst case scenario ruin you bearings and crankshaft. If you already started the engine, oil should have lubricated the inside shaft, take out the belt and try to move the oil sprocket by hand, if it doesn´t turn by hand beware of skipping timing.

Ok, well the pump is new, and it does spin freely... just not by hand... if this means pull it apart, I guess I have no choice....

I dont have balance shafts... but I am confused on what ## telling me to pull out and put lube on...

I have since started the motor several times and it isnt skipping timing... and I know that it spins freely without catching, when using a wrench... it actually required very little torque to turn.... if I pull the front case dont I need a new gasket as well??? even if the existing pump is good??

everything seems fine once its running... seems stupid to pull it all apart again...

Is it a topline pump or other aftermarket pump? I have seen some that have the webbing in the case below the shaft cast heavy enough that it will rub on some sprockets. I have seen it on 2 or 3 now and all that is needed to cure is a slight touch with a grinder on the case. Removed the oil pump sprocket and see if there are any signs of it rubbing the case.

I do suppose this is possible, and I will check it out right away... but it was turning fine the first time I timed this engine, while still on the engine stand.. so I cant really see it becomming difficult after having been run, but not before.... I will check it none the less....

BTW its a topline

Stay away from the gates belt .. double check the seals to see if they are seated correctly one of them could be damaged or bent slightly causing your problem.

so I pulled it apart, and everything looks absolutely perfect. There is a stubby shaft in each balance hole... I still have trouble turning it over by hand, but turns freely without catching with a little effort... I cant see anything wrong with it at all... no metal shavings, no sticky spots...

I dont want to drop that kind of money if I dont need the pump... any advice???

broke my phone (only camera).... possibly tomorrow ill have my gf take some pics for me... Please check back tomorrow for updates and pictures!!! THANKS for the suggestion

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back