The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Oil pump help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SrKegler

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 29, 2004
Daytona Beach, Florida
Boy did i mess up.

Doing a rebuild and a BSEK on my 1G. I have the front of the engine installed and can't torque down the oil pump sprocket. Stubby shaft doesn't extend far enough to hold it.

Any suggestions on how to hold it in place to get the correct torque. Sure don't want that nut spinning off.

You should be able to get an open end wrench on the back side, up by the oil pump feed tube. You should also put some blue Loctite on the nut to be safe.

that's the way my buddy did it and probably the way i will do it too

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I put red locktite on it. Isn't red the strongest?

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I put red locktite on it. Isn't red the strongest?

Yeah...but it takes a lot of heat to break it loose.

I usually only use red on the flywheel bolts, and blue on everything else. Probably wouldn't hurt to use it on the oil pump sprocket, except when you have to deal with you are going through. :)

Thanks guys. I decided to pull the front case off again. Didn't want to take any chances on the nut not being tight enough. I went ahead and used the red locktite. That nut won't ever have to come off again. Next rebuild (200-300,00 mi) it will get a new oil pump and front case.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back