The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Oil Pump Damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsn0w

Proven Member
Feb 14, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm doing a close-to-full rebuild on a 1G 7 bolt, and I just pulled off the front case to get rid of the balance shafts. Opened up the oil pump and noticed gouging on the inside of the pump. The gears are pretty much fine. Little bit of visual scoring on them, but I can't feel it with my fingernail at all and it doesn't seem to be more than aesthetic. The straight-edge/feeler gauge routine also seemed like the gears and tolerances were fine. I left the driven gear in place, but when I removed the second gear to attach the stub shaft, underneath it there was no noticeable damage or gouging. The only damage I can really find is on the oil pump/pickup tube connector side of things (not on the front case). There's some gouging around the bottom where the driven gear lines up with the surface that goes around in a circular pattern that goes all the way from one recess to the other. I can feel this with my fingers, as well. Not deep enough to be a "cut", but definitely there. There is one small (less than a quarter of an inch) cut that is deep enough to be very noticeable, but it's directly in the middle of this surface and doesn't connect to either of recesses at the sides of the pump, so I can't see how oil would get through it to effect pressure negatively. This is by no means an area I am experienced in, however, so correct me if I'm wrong. How much damage is too much damage to reuse this pump? I really would like to avoid buying a new front case, due to the outrageous price, the fact that it'd feel like a waste when I only need the one part of the oil pump that I can't purchase separately, and the fact that I'd likely need to buy a third-party version instead of OEM because I can't afford to drop $350 on a front case right now. I don't intend for this engine to ever make more than 300 (crank) horsepower. I'm building it for around 250 right now and that's probably a high estimate even. I just have a hard time believing that this amount of damage could actually lower oil pressure in any measurable way for a nearly stock build. Thoughts? Thanks!

Grab a non factory pump but use the gears.
You mean re-use my OEM gears? Any suggestions on which pump to buy? The ACL one seems to be the best aftermarket one, and I'm seeing one for sale on maperformance at ~$100, which isn't bad. Do you know if that pump comes with the gears or if it is available anywhere without the gears?

yeah grab a acl pump and use the factory gears, youll be fine, just inspect them for damage, cheaper than a oem one but i got mine from extreme psi a while back, 240 for mine years ago.

yeah grab a acl pump and use the factory gears, youll be fine, just inspect them for damage, cheaper than a oem one but i got mine from extreme psi a while back, 240 for mine years ago.
Thanks for the advice. Ended up ordering one, got a little off for cyber monday sale so it was only 105 shipped, which softens the blow a bit. Do you know if the OEM gasket fits on these pumps? I have a whole OEM gasket set, and I'd prefer to use that since I would assume it's a better gasket than the ACL one that comes with it.

When in doubt toss it out.

Pick up a free lance job from friends or family fix their cars for spare parts cash. I mean it wont make you less pissed but it helps
Thanks for the advice, just ordered an ACL.

I'll have to start trying to do that. Wouldn't have thought of that, but it's a great idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back