The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

oil pressure problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bNasty

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 15, 2009
Chantilly, Virginia
alright so heres my issue. Fresh motor 2.3 BSE (70 miles) fresh head and everything. but im experiencing what seems to be low oil pressure. The oil light doesnt come on. I have an autometer mechanical gauge hooke up and at idle it reads like barely 1-5 psi when cruising it does come up to about 20. this was with 10w 30. I put some 20w 50 in and at idle when cold my gauge read 20 psi but as the car warmed up same problem low oil psi at idle and cruise. My gauge is tapped at the oil filter housing. What could be causing this? i dont really want to drive it with oil psi this low. Could the gauge be wrong. The motor seems to run fine.

ive driven the car some more and have had no issues. the only issue i have is a bad belt squeal im really wondering what this could be

Are you sure the BS bearings are blocking the holes? What kind of clearances did you build the motor with?

.020 over. and i forgot the exact number on the rod bearing clearances but they were checked and were in spec. I cant give you a solid answer on the BSE bearings because my engine builder put it together. Its not safe to drive it around at this pressure correct?

i know im not supposed to bump my own thread, but i have almost 3k on the motor and this problem still persists. I read 0 psi of oil pressure on my Autometer cobalt gauge at idle when warm. could a bad install of the BSE kit cause this problem?

Are you sure the gauge is not faulty? If you driven 3k already and don't hear anything not normal, its seems to be fine.

You could always do a compression and leak down test to check the health of your motor.

Last edited:
Are you sure the gauge is not faulty? If you driven 3k already and don't hear anything not normal, its seems to be fine.

You could always do a compression and leak down test to check the health of your motor.

the compression in my motor is fine i checked it the other day. all even and 160 across the board.

Is the gauge leaking? You can pick up a cheap one for $15, SunPro, and reinstall it and the new sending line to either verify that the gauge was reading correctly or not.

If the balance shaft bearings weren't rotated to block the oil passages to the now-missing balance shaft journals, the oil will just be pouring out with no flow resistance and will cause a major drop in oil pressure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back