The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

oil pressure not going over 25-30 psi

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97eclipsegst4g63

Proven Member
Sep 1, 2015
Livingston, Louisiana
Okay so i finally got a mechanical oil pressure gauge. My oil pressure dosent seem to go over 25-30 psi after it warms up. When i first crank it at a cold idle it is around 50ish psi an after it warms up it settles around 15 psi. When i test drove it today my oil pressure wasnt really going up with my rpms, i only got it to about 3000 rpms an noticed my oil pressure was only at 25 psi so i didnt keep going in fear that id seize up my engine. Ive read up on this issue a good bit an im pretty sure its the front facing oil filter housing im using. Im just looking for some opinions on either welding the little hole in the front facing oil filter housing or just getting a 6 bolt air cooled ofh. But i am kinda worried about the 6 bolt ofh because it seems to have the releif hole too(my stock 7 bolt didnt not) so any information about that would be nice because i dont want to spend 200$ for the 6 bolt ofh an cooler setup an have the same problem when could have just spent 40$ for some aluminum brazing rods an a torch. I just want to know which do yall think would be a better idea.

Where are you getting your pressure readings from? From the numbers you are getting it sounds like you are referencing from somewhere on the head in which case your pressures are normal.

from what i've seen, the FFOFH takes its reading after the filter, versus before the oem OFH which is before the filter, so you'll see a couple psi lower than you should.

but, not going over 30psi is weird, as ~10psi @ idle is normal for oem, then +10psi / 1k rpm. so on a stock oem OFH, you should see 10 + 20psi = 30psi @ 3000rpm.

on ffofh, figure you'll see 25psi @ 3000rpm.

Here's a shot of my car, just rebuilt with ~150 miles on it, 6 bolt, no bshafts, still have squirters, ffofh:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Check the oil bypass spring, it could just be weak or broken.

from what i've seen, the FFOFH takes its reading after the filter, versus before the oem OFH which is before the filter, so you'll see a couple psi lower than you should.

but, not going over 30psi is weird, as ~10psi @ idle is normal for oem, then +10psi / 1k rpm. so on a stock oem OFH, you should see 10 + 20psi = 30psi @ 3000rpm.

on ffofh, figure you'll see 25psi @ 3000rpm.

Here's a shot of my car, just rebuilt with ~150 miles on it, 6 bolt, no bshafts, still have squirters, ffofh:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Could you possibly list your oil psi at 3000 rpm,etc till red line? Because from what im seeing it looks like you only havr about 25-30 psi at 3000 rpms. Is this normal readings with a ffofh?

every car is different, different miles on the engine, different things blocked off, different who knows what. sounds like yours is fine and you're going nuts over something that's just, normal.

37psi @ 4k is just about perfect.

I would check another port or check the oil thickness it will also affect pressure in a way

With the BSE Done.

One of 2 things is commonly done, the OFH is ported or a lighter spring installed on the oil by bass valve.

But yes with the BSE done, most fight to lower oil pressure.

10 psi per 1000 rpm is a common used rule of thumb, to about 60 psi

Also, oil is thick when cold and thins up when hot.

Thus, pressure will always be higher when thick than thin.

Dang, I wouldn't make a biddy fit with those pressure readings, for as long as you have pressure, that is all what matters.

With motor in idle, remove the oil cap. If you see oil swirling around under the rocker cover, pressure is fine.

You said you are using a Forward facing oil filter housing? If so, the FFOFH has a pressure relief hole around where the gasket surface is. This hole has been reported to cause low oil pressure as it is not on any other OFH that comes on a dsm. The low oil pressure problem can be fixed by welding a dot of aluminum over the hole, reportedly. This is what I have done but I have not ran my car yet so I have no personal experience. Check the forum for more information.

hi I just came across this thread and I to have a brand new motor with the FF OFH I however did not weld the little hole shut.. is low oil pressure a guarantee now should i pull the housing off and weld the tiny hole shut befor i put the car back together. im just not sure if i should be worried about this or not i have a 6 bolt with oil squirters and bse and the FF OFH going into a 2 g

hi I just came across this thread and I to have a brand new motor with the FF OFH I however did not weld the little hole shut.. is low oil pressure a guarantee now should i pull the housing off and weld the tiny hole shut befor i put the car back together. im just not sure if i should be worried about this or not i have a 6 bolt with oil squirters and bse and the FF OFH going into a 2 g
Yes you could but the safe thing to do be would to see what your oil pressure is using the ffofh first because i do not think its a problem with everyone or you just just get a 90' air cooled oil filter housing just to be safe for like 90$ on jnz which is what i did.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back