The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 2G Oil pressure gauge

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98gstJames

Proven Member
May 25, 2022
WInchester, Virginia
Alright I know there are a million threads on this but I can’t seem to find any full answers just partial on it. Since I got the car the oil pressure gauge has not worked and I’ve had that on my mind, the car just had too many other issues but now I’m on it. I have a brand new OEM sending unit on my OFH. I’m not trying to get the one in the dash working because I have a oil pressure gauge in my cluster.

So I have a signal wire running from there up to my gauge and my power supply going to the gauge (12v, ign and ground). I’m thinking I need a ground somewhere for the sending unit because when I turn on the key the gauge comes on and everything but the hand in the gauge goes straight to the bottom until it hits the gauge itself. I’m just not sure if there somewhere else I need to hook up or if it’s a ground or what?

Also the factory wiring for it is more than likely destroyed because I have not been able to find it since I got the car and I’ve pretty much used all my plugs except a few and I’m pretty sure none of them are the plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be sure, you're not trying to connect an aftermarket oil pressure sensor to the factory gauge or the Factory oil pressure sensor to an after market gauge. You're also not connecting the low oil pressure warning sensor to anything other than the light in the cluster, right?

I don't seem to have a picture of the 2G Oil Filter Housing but maybe the 1G picture will help.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you're trying to hook up an aftermarket sensor and gauge make sure you have the BSP thread to NPT adapter and the sensor is in the correct port.
The sensor will ground via the engine block so make sure you haven't insulated it with teflon tape. Pipe thread are typically self sealing so no tape.

Just to be sure, you're not trying to connect an aftermarket oil pressure sensor to the factory gauge or the Factory oil pressure sensor to an after market gauge. You're also not connecting the low oil pressure warning sensor to anything other than the light in the cluster, right?

I don't seem to have a picture of the 2G Oil Filter Housing but maybe the 1G picture will help.

If you're trying to hook up an aftermarket sensor and gauge make sure you have the BSP thread to NPT adapter and the sensor is in the correct port.
The sensor will ground via the engine block so make sure you haven't insulated it with teflon tape. Pipe thread are typically self sealing so no tape.
I’m trying to use my aftermarket oil pressure gauge on the factory oil pressure sending unit, I thought it was possible by just wiring it to the aftermarket gauge and have the readings just go to that gauge instead of the factory one in the cluster, I would fix the one in the cluster but I don’t even see the wire for the factory one so that’s why I was trying to just pretty much hard wire in the aftermarket one just so I could see my oil pressure.

Sorry, the sender and gauge are a matched set. Each vendor can come up with whatever way it wants to talk between the two.

The factory sensor works with the factory gauge unless you test it to characterize it and build a gauge to match.

Grab yourself one of these and relocate whatever sender you're using to the driver wheel well:
Run your wires up through brake line gromet all the way through the firewall gromet near clutch master.

Grab yourself one of these and relocate whatever sender you're using to the driver wheel well:
Run your wires up through brake line gromet all the way through the firewall gromet near clutch master.
Thanks man, I’ll go this route with it then.

Sorry, the sender and gauge are a matched set. Each vendor can come up with whatever way it wants to talk between the two.

The factory sensor works with the factory gauge unless you test it to characterize it and build a gauge to match.
Well that makes a little bit more sense why it won’t read anything, I’m gonna use the adapter line to run it to the gauge to use an aftermarket one.

Sorry I know this is kind of old but I didn’t think I should start another thread about this. The one you labeled “good pressure tap” is ok to put an aftermarket sender? I haven’t started the car yet so I’m not sure if the stock gauge will work, but I don’t want to remove it in case it does, so I would like to add an aftermarket one as well since I already have one laying around. I see all those extra Allen head plugs and ive read that there are low pressure and high pressure ones so I’m trying to figure out which one I can use. Then hopefully use the same tactics on my 3000 GT

The 4G63 and 6G72 oil pumps and oil filter housings are completely different and little information can be carried from one to the other.

It's not clear to me if you're working on a 4G right now or the 6G?

One common point is if you're going to have more than one sensor attached you might want to consider remotely mounting them so that engine vibrations don't break them off.

The factory threads for the sensor fittings is 1/8 BSP and many aftermarket sensors are NPT. Something like https://aeroflowperformance.com/af384-04-1-8-bsp-to-4an-straight might work to feed the remote block.

As @steve points out, if you "hang" stuff from the OFH, you are asking for vibrations to rattle it until it comes out or breaks off. We had a 4g motor do that with a brass fitting and no longer put any sensors on the OFH, they all have lines going to a manifold or a sensor. :thumb:

oh alright the senders Look similar on the 6G so I assumed there would be some extra ports on there as well. I’m working on the 4G , just thought the ports would be similar so I could do my 6G later also.

So I’ll just run a block remotely from the “good pressure tap” labeled in the picture @steve posted earlier in this thread.

Thanks for all the help !

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back