The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

2G Oil pressure gauge sensor question

Please Support STM Tuned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontblowup

Probationary Member
Sep 9, 2020
Phoenix, Arizona
I purchased the Elite 10 Glow Shift oil pressure gauge and it did not come with a oil pressure sending unit just a pressure sensor that looks similar to the oil light switch on the OFH.

Can I just replace that switch with the sensor given to me and hook everything up and I'll get good pressure readings?

First time installing any gauges and from the other threads and videos I've seen all of them have a sending unit that they install. Do I need to purchase a sending unit since the gauge did not come with one or will the sensor be enough?

I've added a picture of the sensor.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Not really sure what you're asking, pretty much every aftermarket oil pressure gauge just comes with a sensor like that. You just use one of the other ports in the housing, but note that they are BSPT and not NPT like this sensor would be, so you need to use an adaptor.

I guess what I'm asking is do I need to replace the OEM sending unit with an aftermarket one and hook it up to the new gauge? If the sensor that came with the gauge is all I need that answers my question.
Yes I will be ordering the correct fitting for the port thank you for the reminder.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If the sensor that came with the gauge is all I need that answers my question.
The sensor that came with the new gauge is all you need to run the new gauge, plus whatever pipe thread adapter you use, and some pipe thread sealant.

It's a good idea, if it's not too much of a hassle, to also keep the original gauge working with the original sender just like stock. No big deal, just for backup. I've had my nice super accurate electronic oil pressure gauge act strange a couple times and it was nice to have the original gauge still there to at least tell me the oil pressure was about the same as ever. You'd need to use one of the other ports in the OFH to do that, and one of the 2g guys could help you figure that out. That's probably what @jdxnc meant when he said "You just use one of the other ports in the housing" ....

If your engine vibrates a lot due to having balance shafts removed, you should eventually probably mount the sensor remotely (bracketed to the body). Either way you'll need a BSPT to NPT thread adapter, because that doesn't come in the gauge kit.
You can see how I did this on my 1990 and what fittings I used in posts #52 and 53 here:

Last edited:
The sensor that came with the new gauge is all you need to run the new gauge, plus whatever pipe thread adapter you use, and some pipe thread sealant.

It's a good idea, if it's not too much of a hassle, to also keep the original gauge working with the original sender just like stock. No big deal, just for backup. I've had my nice super accurate electronic oil pressure gauge act strange a couple times and it was nice to have the original gauge still there to at least tell me the oil pressure was about the same as ever. You'd need to use one of the other ports in the OFH to do that, and one of the 2g guys could help you figure that out. That's probably what @jdxnc meant when he said "You just use one of the other ports in the housing" ....

If your engine vibrates a lot due to having balance shafts removed, you should eventually probably mount the sensor remotely (bracketed to the body). Either way you'll need a BSPT to NPT thread adapter, because that doesn't come in the gauge kit.
You can see how I did this on my 1990 and what fittings I used in posts #52 and 53 here:
Awesome thanks for clearing that up. Yeah I will be remote mounting it since my balance shafts have been deleted.
Thanks again for the information!

Also, It's a good idea to use a kit like this to mount the sensor off the engine, the sensors tend to live longer and less risk to vibration breaking them off. It has everything you need included.

Thank you for the info and the link!

FYI if you using the one of the ports on the OFH the one on the top is extremely easy to be over tightened and will crack the OFH and will become scrap metal after most likely.

-Daniel
I've heard of cracking like this happening also with the 1g oil filter housing. This is one reason I don't use teflon tape to seal pipe thread fittings that go into an aluminum housing. Teflon tape tends to creep after a while so the fitting loosens up a little. People usually overtighten the fitting to compensate. Not good. So I use Loctite 567. This is an anaerobic thread sealant, not a thread locker. It's not an RTV. It does grip the fitting fairly well so you don't have to overtighten to keep it from vibrating out. Yet you can remove the fitting with a wrench years later, no problem. It is white color, and is labeled "Low Strength - High Temperature". In small tubes. Don't squeeze all the air out of the tube when you are storing it. It needs air in the tube to keep it from curing. It cures anaerobically (when there is no air around it). It "cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration." (from the TDS)

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back