The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Oil pan dent [Merged 3-9] bent dented sump oilpan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSTsoon

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2003
B'ham_Alabama
Well i dont think its normal....pretty sure its not, but theres a dime size dent right by the drain bolt on the oil pan....and its leaking. Is there any way of fixing this with some jb weld or some shit or do i have to buy a whole new pan? thanks.

Yes the dip stick could show an inaccurate amount so do an oil change then fill with the proper amount of fluid the mark the new full on the dip stick. It shouldn't change very much at all and probably not enough to do any thing.

you could take come clay, mold it into the bottom of the dent, then use a flat piece of wood to mold the clay into the exact positive replica of the dent, then cure it and drop it into a measuring cup of water and measure the displacement, or you could not worry about it cause it won't make a difference.

ChiGGz said:
Won't his dipstick show an inaccurate oil level?
Not if the dent isn't stopping the dipstick from going all the way into the dipstick tube. His capacity will be reduced, but his level shouldn't change- depending on where, specifically, the dent is, and just how drastic it is.

Maybe an M-80 tossed in would round it back out [DO NOT TRY< DUH].

I recently purchased a 99 GST and wasnt too happy with the car being low. Around where I live, their are plenty of high speed bumps and I pretty much scrape my front bumper every time i back out of my driveway. This also occured on my 98GSX that was not lowered at all!

Today I got underneath the car and noticed that my oil pan was bent. This has to be the fault of the original owner, I havnt had/driven this car for more than a couple days. I have enclosed some pictures. From my research, it seems that 7 bolt motors dont need to worry as much as 6 bolt motors about bent oil pans because the 6 bolt is flat while the 7 bolt is more rounded, giving it extra room for error.

Please note, that the oil pan does not leak by any means. Ive checked the whole pan as well as the oil pan bolt, no leaks whatsoever. I just need to know if I should worry about this dent, last thing I want is a dead motor. My oil pressure seems ok, not as high as my previous DSM's but I never get low oil pressure. I did check the oil pressure switch and the wires look pretty worn out and the sensor itself looks like it had been covered in old oil.

Please take a look at the pics and let me know. If it is serious, should I remove the oil pan and try to pop the dent out or do I need a new oil pan?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[/IMG]

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[/IMG]

the last thing in the world anyone could ever want is a dead motor :notgood:!! for starters i would work on cleaning out the oil on the wires... do you have an aftermarket gauge or are you working with the stock one?? <a href="http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/255293-oil-pressure-gauge-what-normal-owners-manual.html"> Oil Pressure gauge: What is Normal owner's manual
</a> <== its meant for 1Gs but not too much different from a 2G.. i'd start there before having to go through a forced oil change

I have the stock 2G gauge. Even if it were the correct reading, to my knowledge, my oil pressure is considered normal. Its just slightly lower than my other DSM readings. I never get low oil pressure, lets just say that if my 98GSX were slightly above the oil can on the stock guage, my GST is right at the oil can or slightly slightly slightly above it. This reading is during cruise in 5th gear around 65-75 mph, about 2800-3000RPM.

But this thread was actually about the dent in my oil pan and if I should worry about it.

That dent is nothing. Mine was much worse.

Im sorry to hear about that, your car is fine though right? Or did you have any problems? The only thing that concerns me is that while the dent is nothing huge, it does sit below the oil pickup. From what I hear, 7 bolts have a bit more room for error than the 6 bolts due to the rounded shape.

the dent on your oil pan is fine. had that happen to mine ### some dipstick decided to jack the engine up via the oil pan (from what i can tell). my gst is still going strong at 210k.

the dent on your oil pan is fine. had that happen to mine ### some dipstick decided to jack the engine up via the oil pan (from what i can tell). my gst is still going strong at 210k.

WOW ive been hearing about this whole jacking up via oil pan, and I just have to wonder, how can people be so stupid and careless. Im glad to hear your car is fine man, 210k and still running strong, Im very impressed. You must take very good care of your car, now if we had more people like that, we wouldnt hear people complain about their cars breaking down all the time.

PimpKing, thanks for the comment.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back