The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Oil pan dent [Merged 3-9] bent dented sump oilpan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSTsoon

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2003
B'ham_Alabama
Well i dont think its normal....pretty sure its not, but theres a dime size dent right by the drain bolt on the oil pan....and its leaking. Is there any way of fixing this with some jb weld or some shit or do i have to buy a whole new pan? thanks.

You'll never get JB weld to hold with oil in the pan. The surface must be very clean and dry to work. You'll probably need a new pan, but you could try welding it. Be careful not to start a fire (oil is flammable and welding is hot ;)).

ummm, i donno if i would weld it, just cause the metal is thin, you might end up messing it up more, im pretty sure that I saw a new oilpan on Ebay for $35, LOL, might be cheaper than welding.
plus turbolover2 is right oil is flamible.
Good Luck,
lemme know if you need some help I have a dealers licence, so i get parts at cost. :thumb:

Ok I know this idle topic has been beaten to death, I am going to do all of the trouble shooting tonight, but I was curious if any of you had the same problem, My idle escalates to 2000 and if I turn theh a/c on it settles down to 750, so is this a tell tale sign of a certain part, vacuum line? Also I must have bottomed out recently because there is a rather large dent in my oil pan... attached is a picture of it... is there anything that could be or is prob damage in the oil pan??

Attachments

• oilpan.jpg
    oilpan.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 381
You can take it off.. and fix it.

Put it on a bag of sand and pound it back out.

Most likely you have no problems, but I'd take it off to make sure. Don't pry on it, just beat it off with a rubber mallet. Use Grey RTV on the seal, and let it dry over night at least.

Couple suggestions:

1.) Check to make sure your cruise control cables/throttle cables are adjusted correctly. My 1990 has the UIP going thru the CC cables and sometimes it pulls the throttle open a bit = High Idle.

2.) Make sure you still have a BISS screw on the TB. They tend to vibrate loose and if you don't have the rubber cap.. pop off.

3.) take off and clean out your ISC as the needle seat tends to gum up with crud causing erratic Idle.

3.) If you havn't done so.. make up a Pressure Tester to check for vaccume/boost leaks. Cost around $10 from home depot plumbing dept :thumb:

-John

I haven't seen many DSMs without dented oil pans. This is usually due to some moe jacking up the engine on it without a block of wood or the like, especially when pulling an engine mount (like on a timing belt install). It's not REALLY hurting anything, but it isn't great either. If it really bugs you, go ahead and replace the pan - it's not all that difficult.

1.) Check to make sure your cruise control cables/throttle cables are adjusted correctly. My 1990 has the UIP going thru the CC cables and sometimes it pulls the throttle open a bit = High Idle.

BINGO!! I went thru so much troubleshooting today! I checked all over for vacuum leaks, cleaned throttle body, cleaned egr, yada yada yada, and the sole problem was my cruise control cables had two loose nuts, so i adjusted and tightened the nuts, and whala! ~750 idle! perfecto! sometimes i amaze myself at how ignorent I can be... o well at least it gave me something to do today ;) thanks again you all!

Should the oil pan be replaced or is it OK? This doesn't look so good. Guess the previous owner ran over something!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mine looks a lot worse, and hasnet caused me any major problems, im still going to replace it tho

Guess I'll leave it for now then :) It looks worse than the picture shows, but I'm guessing it's not right where the pickup is. Thanks!

if you have a dent in it, and your dipstick says you have an ok level of oil, you'd assume you dont. The dent causes a lesser volume for oil in the engine. The level is fine, and the car runs fine, so I'm assuming it is fine. But you'd assume you dont have as much oil in th epan as you normally would if there were no dent... Id leave it though :p

Hey, I will share a problem I had. I bought a used oil pan off of ebay. So it finally comes in, and it has a dent in it. It didnt look all that bad. So I put it on the car and it was making a horrible knocking noise. So I stripped the oil pan back off and beat the dent out of it. That fixed the problem. Anyway, the point I am trying to make is if you dent it any more, you may get that knocking noise and you will know where to look.

what do u think that knockin noise is... because i believe i havethe same problem.. i changed my oil today and i noticed the pan was dented, i believe it ws from he previous owner but im not sure because it wasn't knocking until about a moth ago...
so you're saying if i take the oil pan off and bang the dent out, the noise will go away??

I've never seen a DSM oil pan that didn't have a dent in it. Mine has a pretty freaking big dent in fact, and my engine is doing just fine. So long as the dent isn't deep enough or in a position to where it will effect the ability of the oil strainer to do it's job, you should be ok.

I've just did my oil change. I've noticed that my oil pan has a big dent at the bottom. The dent is almsot as wide as the bottom of the oil pan itself and it goes in .25in to .5in into the pan. It doesn't look cracked or leaking, but i've noticed a lot more rust on the whole pan. My question is whether this dent could cause any problems to the motor? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Couldnt it affect the ability of the oil pump to suck up some oil? Im not sure how far in it is though...I know my friend had a dented oil pan in his H22 going into his car...it always read low oil pressure b/c the dent blocked in that funnelish thing that sucks up the oil

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back