The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

oil pan baffle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsthensun

15+ Year Contributor
May 1, 2005
Bay City, Michigan
how important is the oil pan baffle, and what does it do? I swapped my motors and the old oil pan baffle from the 95' 4g63 doesnt fit on my new 4g63 ( not sure of the year) Only 3 of the 4 bolts line up, and when i get those 3 bolts in, i cant get the oil pan to fit on correctly. Are there different oil pan baffles for different year motors?

The baffle keeps the oil in the bottom of the pan and is very important. The baffles are the same for the gen's but the AWD and FWD baffles are different I believe.

How sure are you that that will work? I guess i just dont understand why the baffle wont work on my new 7 bolt motor...

alright, ill call mitsubishi tomorrow and give them the numbers off of the block. do you know if the pans are different between the years, or is it just the baffle that's different.

To be honest with you I thought that all 7bolts had the same oil pan and etc. I guess I was wrong. Heres a wild guess Maybe the late 92-94 is the same and the 95 is odd and the 96-99 is the same I'm just throwing that out there. Great city by the way I ahve family next to hobe sound.

Thanks for the advice, this is terrible though. Its a pain trying to figure this out. Thanks, west palm is very nice.

i will. If anyone has any other input to this situation, let me know because right now im at a stand still on my motor...

The pans are different between FWD and AWD. So if you have an FWD car and a AWD pan it won't work.

hmm , so basically I need to get myself a 7 bolt awd oil pan baffle and oil pan? Is there a difference in bolt patterns for the oil pan baffle between the awd and fwd blocks? The pan and baffle were taken out of a fwd car, and put back in a fwd car. In other words, im using a fwd oil pan baffle and oil pan.

Then I have no idea what to tell ya. Just drill the extra hole if it's just one that doesn't bolt up. You really only need a couple to hold it in.

the thing is, the oil pan wont fit on correctly when I put the oil pan baffle on.

I figured it out finaly. 93-95 7 bolt oil pan baffles are different from the 96-99 baffles. I just bought a new baffle from mitsubishi for 14 bucks and it fits perfect, just thought i would let everyone know just in case someone has the same problem I had.

Laugh if you will but what is a oil pan baffle? I'm truly baffled. :)

It's the plate inside the oil pan that keeps the oil in the bottom of the sump when cornering and accelerating. Keeps it from sloshing around.2q

95blackGsTurbo said:
It's the plate inside the oil pan that keeps the oil in the bottom of the sump when cornering and accelerating. Keeps it from sloshing around.2q
Thanks Adam, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I missed on a recent swap.

No prob. Anytime I can learn a moderator is a good day LOL. Don't know why there is a .2q after my post. I think the car must have hit a key before I hit reply.

It's been a while since I looked, but I thought the baffle was tack welded in. I guess not.

But this is a great reference as I need a new pan after a "curbing" excursion and this sheds new light as to what I need to look out for....thanks.:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back