The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil on Head and exhaust manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1qwikspyder

Probationary Member
Feb 17, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
I have recently rebuilt my motor, block and head. Head has crower springs retainers, and si 1mm oversized valves, new stem seals, etc... Anyways, since I've had it back, I've been noticing oil on the head right above the exhaust manifold and what looks to be soaked into the manifold. When I took the manifold off, there was wet oil all over the nuts and washers that hold the manifold on. It is doing this to all the runners on the manifold. However, when I took the manifold off I could not find any wet oil in the runners on the manifold or head. What could be causing this? O BTW, car doesn't smoke out the exhaust but seems to smoke in the engine bay (not bad, but at night I can see smoke in front of the headlights). Thanks in advanced.

There is an oil journal behind one of the studs. I believe it is the lower middle stud. The stud actually blocks the hole that goes right into the journal. So if you have no stud, you will have a massive oil leak. If you could post pocs that would be great. And I would say the reason it smokes under the hood is because of the burning oil on the scortching hot manifold.

Steven

Check the valve cover bolts, make sure they are still torqued to spec. Sometimes after a new gasket is put on it can put pressure on whatever is on top of it, pushing it up just barely, allowing oil to seap out.

The last time that I saw that it was because the valve cover was cracked and oil was seeping thru the weep hole onto the exhaust manifold. Check to see if there is any oil on top of the valve cover under the spark plug wire cover. If there is, then there ya go.

Let us know what you find.

Also, there is an oil gally plug located right where the oil feed line bolts up. If that is loose or has been removed recently it might need to be resealed. RTV works fine. You can just coat the threads and screw it back in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back