The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Oil leaking out of manifold gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93TSI_DSM

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 15, 2008
Holland, Ohio
Hey Tuners, Ive got a question about why I have oil leaking Between the Exaust Manifold and the Head. Its a small leak and only starts to leak under boost when the oil is hot and thin. I guess im trying to ask if that would cause my car to smell like burning oil? I know its a dumb question but im wondering why its doing it. The gaskets are metal, i have a broke manifold bolt right next to the leak spot. Ha just looking for a reason why oil is being pushed past my gaskets onto the manifold. And input is great, thanks.

You sure you aren't leaking from the valve cover?

This leaks oil out down to the exhaust manifold too!

My car does this, stupid stripped VC :(

It is one of the middle studs, correct??? This is because the stud goes into the oil galley. Just put a teflon tape on threads, or even better, plumbing paste, or high temp. silicone. Make sure it is not excessive amount and it does not go IN.

Ya check the valve cover for any drips. Like andy said, the studs have various paths behind them (coolant and oil). Could have a small hole behind one of the studs forcing oil out. I'd suggest removing the mani but thats a PITA. Trust me, done it 3 times in the past 3 weeks. Good luck though.

No its not coming from the Valve cover, the oil is being pushed past the gasket. Like some kind of blow by, im going to do a compressions test tomarrow to see if its a bad piston ring. Im thinking it could be that or a valve seal.

OR
one of your guides is leaking.
That was happening to me, but I ignored it until it just totally took a crap. It never leaked as bad to make it noticeable or for the oil to disappear. Then one day I was going to work and bam! It was smoking a crap load.

same stud that broke on mine. so i decided to drill and extract it out. drilled too deep and now coolant is leaking from it. if i put a new stud with some silicone or teflon would that be ok to stop the leak and be alright to drive on like normal? or second, weld it shut and use the other stud and go with that? thanks

same stud that broke on mine. so i decided to drill and extract it out. drilled too deep and now coolant is leaking from it. if i put a new stud with some silicone or teflon would that be ok to stop the leak and be alright to drive on like normal? or second, weld it shut and use the other stud and go with that? thanks

Try Teflon Paste after retap. You might skate by with some Epoxy like JB WELD, Im not a fan but some folks have success with it. Avoid welding as a last EXTREME resort, most Welders will require you pull the head, it has to be CLEAN and chemical free for a good weld.
To the OP Yeah, 3 possible contributors if not Vcover gasket or Tube seals or grommets under Vcover bolts. #1 Center manifold bolt as pointed out by the others, #2 Valve Seat or stem seal, #3 Worst case - Piston!
Good Luck to you both:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back