The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Oil leaking from exhaust manifold??? (pic enclosed)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98FWDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
VirginiaUS
ok, i started to smell some oil burning while going down the road so i pulled over and checked it all out and this is what i found. As far as I know, no oil should even be going through the exhaust manifold and the only reason that the gasket is there is so there will be no exhaust leak...i may be wrong on this one :confused: someone let me know what is wrong and how to fix. . . .Thanks!!

Attachments

• oil leak.jpg
    oil leak.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 764
I dont think it is the exhaust manifold. Looks like the valve cover gasket is shot. You can see the oil on the head and which looks like it is running down to the exhaust manifold. has the valve cover gasket ever been replaced? Mine started to leak a bit 80,000 miles, but never as bad as what I see on yours.

And True, the head to manifold gasket is only for exhaust, but you can pull your plugs and see if one is coated with oil to make sure it is not coming from the engine, (which I doubt it is), my money is still on the valve cover gasket

My money is on the valve cover gasket too. You can see the fresh oil just on the underside of the valve lip. Also, notice that kind of "spray" pattern across the manifold. Looks like the gasket just blew out in that area, and sent a spray of oil across the manifold.

valvecover gasket :thumb: if it was coming out of the manifold i think your car would be stuttering and dieing...and dieing for good aka bad piston rings. get a new gasket and should fix it good as new, and get rtv sealant to make sure it doesnt happen again. peace

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back