The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Oil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TuJay

Proven Member
Aug 16, 2016
Wadsworth, Ohio
There is an oil leak in my car and I think that its coming from the head. I read somewhere that this is a somewhat common problem. How can I fix it? The car is a 98 Eclipse RS

Do you know it's from the head? Can you see a trail of where it's leaking?

Is it in the front of the engine or the back?

If you have the stock oil pressure switch, those are known to leak. It's on the back of the engine close to the trans and up near the head. It's under the intake runner for cyl #4.

Could also be valve cover gasket. If it has never been changed it could be hard and not sealing. I just replaced a valve cover and spark plug well gaskets on a 03 Lancer. All of them were as hard as rocks and leaking bad. New gaskets ,no leaks.

That's a good point too.

Op if you determine the leak to be from the VC it does have a specific torque sequence you need to follow or it will keep leaking.

Do you know it's from the head? Can you see a trail of where it's leaking?

Is it in the front of the engine or the back?

If you have the stock oil pressure switch, those are known to leak. It's on the back of the engine close to the trans and up near the head. It's under the intake runner for cyl #4.
It seems to be near the throttle body. I was changing the anti freeze yesterday and I saw some leaking. It looks like a pretty slow leak. I also saw a little dripping down on the trans. Is the oil pressure switch easy to fix/replace if that's the problem?

It seems to be near the throttle body. I was changing the anti freeze yesterday and I saw some leaking. It looks like a pretty slow leak. I also saw a little dripping down on the trans. Is the oil pressure switch easy to fix/replace if that's the problem?

Near the throttle body could be the valve cover gasket. But as stated above some pics would help.

Near the throttle body could be the valve cover gasket. But as stated above some pics would help.
After I took off my intake I could really see. I believe it is the valve cover gasket

Attachments

• IMG_3885.JPG
    IMG_3885.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3887.JPG
    IMG_3887.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 44
I figured it would be leaking at that half moon.

Follow this:

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Replacing_valve_cover_and_spark_plug_gaskets

Also get anerobic sealant. Any auto parts store will have it. Place a bit around where the out most cam caps are. So where the gasket would have to curve up over. Also place a bit by the half moon, where it's currently leaking. I also like to put just a bit to hold the spark plug gaskets in place and you can also use some to keep the valve cover gasket in the valve cover for ease of install.

I can't stress this next part enough follow the torque sequence exactly how that article tells you. Failure to do so will cause it to leak again. May seam silly but trust me there is a reason for it.

I figured it would be leaking at that half moon.

Follow this:

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Replacing_valve_cover_and_spark_plug_gaskets

Also get anerobic sealant. Any auto parts store will have it. Place a bit around where the out most cam caps are. So where the gasket would have to curve up over. Also place a bit by the half moon, where it's currently leaking. I also like to put just a bit to hold the spark plug gaskets in place and you can also use some to keep the valve cover gasket in the valve cover for ease of install.

I can't stress this next part enough follow the torque sequence exactly how that article tells you. Failure to do so will cause it to leak again. May seam silly but trust me there is a reason for it.
could you tell me the torque sequence?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back