The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoov1011

Probationary Member
Mar 31, 2005
grand rapids, Michigan
I've found a couple threads regarding similar oil leaks but none had posted pics or concrete resolutions to the problem. I just completed a 16G turbo upgrade on my 97 GSX and fired it up for the first time in about a year. Now I notice that after a few minutes of idling there is an oil leak at the left front (passenger) corner of the engine, where the head and block meet. It looks to be coming out right behind the left most exhaust manifold nut. I've read that there is an oil passage near this location and that the left most manifold stud actually pierces this passage? My first course of action will be to back this stud out and check that it isnt leaking around it. I also read that although head gaskets don't often fail on 4G63's that it is possible. I'm thinking perhaps it has, even tho there are no other signs, failed due to the length of time the car sat without running? I don't know... anyone have other thoughts? I did check around the valve cover and oil feed and both are dry. Also there is a significant gap between the head and block in this area, is this normal? My buddies 92 does not have a gap here but I believe the 1g's have a different head?

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 184
The oil passage is the bottom row, middle exhaust manifold stud

Since you said you just installed the 16g, i would double check everything you did since its obvious thats what's causing your leak... unless it leaked prior to install

Common sense would dictate that the leak is caused from something I changed since it wasn't leaking before. However I didn't pull the head off and the only thing with oil in it i changed was the turbo/lines and they are not leaking.

there shouldnt be a gap between the head and the block. Replace headgasket or check the headstud torque first.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back