The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Oil leak with pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plcooke87

Probationary Member
Dec 18, 2021
Austin, Texas
I have an oil leak coming from the front driver side.

I detailed the engine compartment so I could trace where the oil is coming from.

I let the car idle for 30 minutes with no leaks.

I took the car around the block. When I got back, it appears the oil is coming from this area. Pictures included.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Did you use a small amount of engine oil dye? It can be detected with a UV light after a minute of running. Just a suggestion.

Looks like you’ve circled the water pump, which can’t leak oil. Must be something up above it leaking down onto it. Could be cam seal or valve cover gasket.
You can take the upper timing cover off and see those areas much better. You can even run and drive the car with it removed for a short time. It would help to know if your timing belt is getting oily, because that’s not great.

But you’re sure it’s oil? Not just something wet & slippery? Wiping onto a paper towel should show the color better than on your fingers, etc.

I pulled my front cover to chase down an oil leak, and did find my cam seals were at least part of the problem. The rubber lip had essentially hardened into plastic, and part of it had cracked away.
You’d be wise to try the valve cover for cracks and the gasket first, because basically anything else it might be requires pulling the timing belt at least.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back