The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

OIl leak ontop of vavle cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreetThisDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2004
Barberton, Ohio
help me out....i just finished rebuilding my motor. went to take it for a drive..ran great...came back and poped the hood..there was a puddle of oil on the vavle cover....pulled all four sparkplug wires and the boots are covered in oil...it apears that the leak is coming from the spark plug wire holes. any help would be helpfull :talon:

StreetThisDSM said:
help me out....i just finished rebuilding my motor. went to take it for a drive..ran great...came back and poped the hood..there was a puddle of oil on the vavle cover....pulled all four sparkplug wires and the boots are covered in oil...it apears that the leak is coming from the spark plug wire holes. any help would be helpfull :talon:

If oil on top of the valve cover likely you have either over-tightened the VC mounting bolts causing a crack in the cover or the oil cap gasket is bad.

Oil in the plug wells indicates that the valve cover plug gaskets are not sealing (pinched or misaligned). Likely would need to be replaced.

Do the easiest first. Replace the oil cap, or just the seal for it, if that doesn't stop the leak, then move onto the valve cover gaskets.

Yep, either the valve cover was over-tightened and cracked and/or the oil cap gasket is bad.

one thing you want to do is double up the oil cap gasket as soon as you can. Go to the Mitsubishi dealership and ask for this part #: MD311638...........leave the original gasket on there and just add the new one on top of it. This will eliminate any leakage from the oil cap.

sumenlo said:
one thing you want to do is double up the oil cap gasket as soon as you can. Go to the Mitsubishi dealership and ask for this part #: MD311638...........leave the original gasket on there and just add the new one on top of it. This will eliminate any leakage from the oil cap.

Good luck trying to get the cap off when the motor is warm...I did this and it is so tight that you really need to grab and twist with your whole arm. I guess the double gaskets expand when it heats up? Anyway, just a warning. The cap doesn't leak anymore though :thumb:.

A puddle of oil is a lot of oil coming from a worn out oil cap gasket unless this happened over a long period of time. If all of this happened within a short period of time which I suspect, you might want to investigate further and find out why your crank case is being over pressurized. Are there any other signs like popping your dipstick or smoking exhaust. It may turned out to be just the gasket but it wouldn't hurt to double check before it's too late especially now you have just sealed off one of the few outlets left.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back