The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil leak on timing belt side

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allezgrand

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 11, 2003
Boulder, Colorado
I've got a pretty bad oil leak on the timing belt side of the engine. I apparently had two, because I fixed one that was leaking where the oil filter unit mounts to the block, but it is still dripping quite a lot from that side of the engine. I took it to the car wash, removed the upper timing belt cover and hosed it down very well. I waited for it to dry while I let it idle, and after idling for about 25 minutes, it showed no signs of leaking anywhere. On the 15 minute drive home, I checked it several times (without pulling off the upper timing belt cover) and it was dripping more and more. The first place that it was wet at all was on top of the water pump housing....which led me to my next question: Is there any oil that is supplied to the water pump on these cars for some odd reason?
I recently replaced the head and used a metal head gasket, but I was a dumbass for not replacing the cam seals on the used head that I bought, so I know that that is a possibility and last time that I was under the timing belt cover the front main seal was dry. My main question is stated above, but are there any other possible places that oil could come from on that side of the engine?

It appears to be pretty high because as I said, the first place that appeared wet was the top of the water pump. And I've already replaced the valve cover gasket and tightened it down pretty well.

Originally posted by allezgrand
It appears to be pretty high because as I said, the first place that appeared wet was the top of the water pump. And I've already replaced the valve cover gasket and tightened it down pretty well.

Thats amazing, that leak took me 2 days to find actually because I had the same kinda leak on my talon before and had to fight with a few different places to get that resolved.

The gasket that was replaced was about $1.00 I think. One sec I'll contact the dealer and ask them the name of the dam part. If you can get me a side pic of the block I could definately point out where its at for you. I called mitsu and they told me it was the OIL PUMP SHAFT SEAL and it was simple to replace. Its the seal that goes on the PUMP HOUSING, not the seal on the shaft. Its a welsch plug that holds it in.

Would it be accurate to say that all this water pump vicinity oil started after install of the metal Head Gasket? - that is far more likely than the Cam Shaft Oil Seals IMO...

You have a a choice - replace your oil contaminated Timing Belt now - or when it strips it's oil soaked teeth at the crankshaft any day now - which BTW will probably bend valves - which is when you can do away with the metal Head Gasket, & install all new oil seals, do away with the balance shafts, replace the water pump, every bad hose - and do one helluva cleanup - All things that need to be done on cars of this vintage - If these things hadn't already been done when you did the Metal Head gasket install that was a BIG mistake not doing them.

If you can get me a side pic of the block I could definately point out where its at for you. I called mitsu and they told me it was the OIL PUMP SHAFT SEAL and it was simple to replace. Its the seal that goes on the PUMP HOUSING, not the seal on the shaft. Its a welsch plug that holds it in.

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, so I can't get a good pic of it. Can you describe where it is? It sounds like you are talking about the seal on the oil pump which is at the far lower right, but I am talking about the water pump which is at the mid to upper left... Am I misunderstanding you?

Would it be accurate to say that all this water pump vicinity oil started after install of the metal Head Gasket? - that is far more likely than the Cam Shaft Oil Seals IMO...

You have a a choice - replace your oil contaminated Timing Belt now - or when it strips it's oil soaked teeth at the crankshaft any day now - which BTW will probably bend valves - which is when you can do away with the metal Head Gasket, & install all new oil seals, do away with the balance shafts, replace the water pump, every bad hose - and do one helluva cleanup - All things that need to be done on cars of this vintage - If these things hadn't already been done when you did the Metal Head gasket install that was a BIG mistake not doing them.

I replaced the timing belt and the balance shaft belt less than 500 miles before I replaced the head, and I don't want to remove the balance shaft because I don't want the vibration. All of the hoses are in good condition, none of the lower seals appeared to be leaking so I didn't want to mess with a good thing. On the other hand, I am not sure whether the leak I am currently fighting with was present before the head swap or not because I had another leak that I knew of that was from the oil sending unit. Why would I need to replace a good water pump when doing a head swap? Also, why do you think that there is a high likely hood that it is the head gasket that is leaking? I cleaned the block and the head very well before installing it, and there are no other signs of head gasket problems, so do you still think that there is a high probability that it is the head gasket? And thanks for the advice about the timing belt, I had been wondering if oil tends to damage them as well.

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, so I can't get a good pic of it. Can you describe where it is? It sounds like you are talking about the seal on the oil pump which is at the far lower right, but I am talking about the water pump which is at the mid to upper left... Am I misunderstanding you?

I dunno. This seal is midway down and it dripped onto the timing belt and then slung around within that cover. Also it would puddle up in the bottom of the timing belt cover and drip onto the ground.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here is a picture of the 1g engine with timing cover removed. Where was the leak coming from on yours 98RedGs?

Here is a picture of the 1g engine with timing cover removed. Where was the leak coming from on yours 98RedGs?

I'll post the pic edited and show you what all I replaced.
Everything I put Circled with a R I replaced trying to figure out what the leak was. Come to find out it was the same gasket I told you that I replaced. I dont see it in that picture because all of the timing belt items are in the way. :( Sorry. I dont know exactly where it is but I do know what they replaced.

The large area I circled shows you where the seal is that I had to replace to cure the problem.
If you can get me a side pic of the block I could definately point out where its at for you. I called mitsu and they told me it was the OIL PUMP SHAFT SEAL and it was simple to replace. Its the seal that goes on the PUMP HOUSING, not the seal on the shaft. Its a welsch plug that holds it in.

Call mitsu and ask them how to get to that gasket is all I can tell you.
The last thing I could tell you is give you the number to my mitsu dealer and you can ask for "richard in service" and tell him you know. "john with the talon" and you need some information on how you fixed that oil leak. There number is 985-643-1300 Dude.

Sorry I cant help much more.
:(

Why would I need to replace a good water pump when doing a head swap? .

Because to replace the water pump you have to remove the Timing Covers & all the accessories & accessory belts - you have the front of the motor torn down so why WOULDN'T you replace the water pump if it had 70K or more on it?

Also, why do you think that there is a high likely hood that it is the head gasket that is leaking? I cleaned the block and the head very well before installing it, and there are no other signs of head gasket problems, so do you still think that there is a high probability that it is the head gasket?

Look at the picture - you mentioned oil on top of the water pump - the Head Joint is immediately above the Water Pump - Oil doesn't run uphill. I'm not an expert here but if you consult those that ARE in this area I doubt you'll find you need that Metal Head Gasket.

And thanks for the advice about the timing belt, I had been wondering if oil tends to damage them as well

That advice is FIRSTHAND experience - I removed my Timing Belt Upper Cover & cleaned my oil contaminated Timing Belt with Brake Cleaner - it ran GREAT - for a few weeks - till it stripped at the crank!

and I don't want to remove the balance shaft because I don't want the vibration.

TOTAL BULLSHIT - a little vibe in the steering wheel at idle - You are going to be ripping this thing down to parade rest all over again (unless the impending balance shaft bearing sieze kills the whole motor - which is quite possible) if you don't get rid of the rear one & lose the belt for the forward one while you are in there THIS TIME!

That advice is FIRSTHAND experience - I removed my Timing Belt Upper Cover & cleaned my oil contaminated Timing Belt with Brake Cleaner - it ran GREAT - for a few weeks - till it stripped at the crank!
I'm not trying to be an ass, but I'm willing to bet your putting brake cleaner on your t-belt had more to do with its failure than the oil. Brake cleaner eats up anything that's made with petroleum - plastics, styrofoam, and rubber.

That's not to say that an oil-soaked t-belt is any better off, but brake cleaner is nasty shit.

Hello...newb here. I had a small leak on the top end of my head where my timing belt cover is located and I found that when I painted my valve cover, I did not place the rubber gasket back on properly and it was leaking pretty good, so I went to my local auto parts store and bought a new gasket and replaced it making sure the gasket was fitted correctly and no more leaks.

Good luck, and I hope you find the source of your leak and fix it.

:dsm:

Originally posted by psychlow I'm not trying to be an ass, but I'm willing to bet your putting brake cleaner on your t-belt had more to do with its failure than the oil. Brake cleaner eats up anything that's made with petroleum - plastics, styrofoam, and rubber.That's not to say that an oil-soaked t-belt is any better off, but brake cleaner is nasty shit.

No offense taken but I'm using a Bumper 2 Bumper Parts Master brake cleaner aerosol stuff that is essentially like liquid Freon - doesn't hurt rubber at all, & cuts oil very well which was the goal - Unfortunately once a Timing Belt - or ANY belt gets oil soaked it's history & I should have stopped right there & pulled all the belts - Now that "Purple Stuff" type cleaner will eat HELL out of rubber - skin - etch Aluminum, etc, etc - I rinse 'Purple Stuff" type cleaners off with Windex when I'm done cleaning an item.

Also - MY90ECLIPSE has a DAMN Good Point!

did you try a machinist square on the head? It could be a warped head.

I had the head checked when it was at the machine shop, and it is square. Also, I have triple checked the valve cover gasket and it is installed fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back