The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Oil leak on firewall (Pictures and video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAW91

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 16, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I have had a pretty bad oil leak for a while now (I have a 95 with a 6 bolt swap) spraying from the back of my motor somewhere, I have no idea where it is comming from but I have replaced the hose and pcv valve from the intake manifold to the pcv valve on the valve cover. I have also heard there was a bolt that blocks off a passage that goes all the way through to the motor where the intake manifold bracket goes but I have stuck a screwdriver in all the open holes I could find and none of them have gone through. I took some pictures of how bad the leak is then cleaned it off the rear subframe (it leaks on the rear subframe, axles, exhaust, and about half way down the bottom side of the car). and took a video of it sprinkling on the rear subframe from the spraying that is comming from somewhere under the intake manifold. What I'm getting to is where do you guys think this leak could be comming from?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

MAH01828.mp4 video by Carparts26 - Photobucket

Could it possibly be the headgasket? When mine was going bad on me it didnt cause any overheating, but leaked oil pretty bad.

The bolt hole you are talking about is under the starter in the middle of the block. It is where you check to see if your balance shafts are timed. I would check that bolt and then maybe look at your head gasket and also your oil pan gasket. My oil pan gasket was leaking and looked similar to that.

I am with Boomdeeze. It looks like you are missing the plug for this hole:

I am with Boomdeeze. It looks like you are missing the plug for this hole

^^ yep that'll do it:ohdamn:..but how did you see that from that pic LOL its like where's waldo LOL i mean now that you point it out yeah, but damn .. you're good :thumb:

If thats it, I will find each of you and send a cookie to each of your addresses.. I'll check now and update right after :)

Worked perfect, now I just need your addresses to send the cookies to... :D
and oatmeal for Boomdeeze (weird kid -_- LOL).

Last edited:
Glad it was a simple fix for you and not something major. I would try to thoroughly clean the engine bay now though so it doesn't cake on

^^ yep that'll do it:ohdamn:..but how did you see that from that pic LOL its like where's waldo LOL i mean now that you point it out yeah, but damn .. you're good :thumb:

ROFL

The leak description/area fit perfectly, it was just a matter of finding the evidence in the picture. Familiarity with the block and zoom helped a bit, too.

Glad you got it fixed up!

Glad it was a simple fix for you and not something major. I would try to thoroughly clean the engine bay now though so it doesn't cake on
Definitely, thats my first priority. The oil was caked on the exhaust and it would smoke constantly, I'm going to pressure wash it then degrease it if needed.

What are the two bolts to the right go to? Mine are missing with oil leak near firewall as well

The two to the right in post # 5? Those are for the roll stop bracket (motor mount bracket) on a 1G. They are not thru-holes and would not leak oil.

The two to the right in post # 5? Those are for the roll stop bracket (motor mount bracket) on a 1G. They are not thru-holes and would not leak oil.
I have a 2g leaking oil from somewhere leaking onto cat and on exhaust rubber bracket

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back