The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil Leak Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoXracing82085

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 23, 2010
Lynchburg, Virginia
Please forgive me for posting this issue again but the first time this was posted I didn't get any responses to my issue.

I replaced my valve cover, valve cover gasket, oil pan, oil pan gasket, and oil filter trying to fix my oil leak in all possible ways that was easy. I also used the permatex on my gaskets as well.

However I still have an oil leak from around the oil filter area. Any clue on where it could be leaking from? Could it be the oil filter housing itself?

:idontknow:

There is a o ring seal in the back of the oil cooler housing that the oil filter screws on to . To get to it you need to remove the oil filter then use a 24mm socket to remove the threaded bolt/ stud that holds down the oil cooler .also remove the 2 coolant hoses off the cooler . remove the orange color o ring and replace , Note Dealer item.

Please forgive me for posting this issue again but the first time this was posted I didn't get any responses to my issue.

I replaced my valve cover, valve cover gasket, oil pan, oil pan gasket, and oil filter trying to fix my oil leak in all possible ways that was easy. I also used the permatex on my gaskets as well.

However I still have an oil leak from around the oil filter area. Any clue on where it could be leaking from? Could it be the oil filter housing itself?

:idontknow:

Something to check too is the oil filter gasket that comes on the filter. Sometimes when you change your oil filter the gasket thats on it sticks to the block then when you put the new filter on with its gasket the two together will leak. Its a pain to check because you have to drain the oil but my money's on that.

Possibly the crank seal or something in the timing cover leaking and running out of the bottom of the cover. Hard to tell with out seeing.

There is a o ring seal in the back of the oil cooler housing that the oil filter screws on to . To get to it you need to remove the oil filter then use a 24mm socket to remove the threaded bolt/ stud that holds down the oil cooler .also remove the 2 coolant hoses off the cooler . remove the orange color o ring and replace , Note Dealer item.

I know its an old thread w. e., but What is this orange o-ring properly called or what's the dealer part #? I believe thats what broke on my car and oil was just dripping like crazy i basically lost all of it =/...thanks!

If it's the OFH o-ring you can use the rubber o-ring from your oil filter if no dealers have them in stock. But most parts stores sell a uv dye you put into the oil and run the car while shinning blacklights on the engine, the oil leak will be a neon green.:thumb:

check your gasket/line on the oil feed line to your tubro and check the oil return line also

Are all of you giving turbo DSM information to a guy with a 420a?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back