The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Oil leak in my 4G63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black_Fury

Probationary Member
Mar 3, 2021
Tarragona (Spain), Europe
Hi guys,
I am new to this forum,
I wanted to consult a question about an oil leak that I have in the 4G63 engine,
I do not know if it is produced by the gasket of the cylinder head cover, by the seal of the camshafts or if it is by the cylinder head gasket.

Less than a month ago I changed the gasket of the cylinder head cover, it was already old for years.

And my surprise is that in less than a month I find when I disassemble the cover that the new gasket is damaged, I do not know if it is normal.

I have already waiting for a new gasket to change that one, I am waiting for it to arrive.

But I had been told that the oil leak could be the other two options that I mentioned above.

Ask if I can upload photos and how you see it.

Thank you very much in advance

Attachments

• IMG-20210301-WA0066.jpeg
    IMG-20210301-WA0066.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG-20210301-WA0055.jpeg
    IMG-20210301-WA0055.jpeg
    916.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG-20210301-WA0068.jpeg
    IMG-20210301-WA0068.jpeg
    714.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20210301_154159.jpg
    IMG_20210301_154159.jpg
    1,016.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210301_134337.jpg
    IMG_20210301_134337.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210301_134323.jpg
    IMG_20210301_134323.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20210301_134607.jpg
    IMG_20210301_134607.jpg
    865.8 KB · Views: 110
Hello family
At the moment a mechanic told me to clean up everything I could with clean brakes to see if the leak was from the camshaft seals.

To my disappointment, I have been spraying for 2 hours, cleaning a little from above where I could and testing, starting and stopping the car, the camshaft seals and valve cover does not leak oil, the leak has to come from below, the problem is to be able to remove what is left of the distribution cover or if by raising the car with some small 2T elevators I can see something.

I put photos at the moment of the leak that is seen in the cardboard.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It appears to be below the timing gears, as they are dry, yet the belt is WET with oil. You will need to remove the lower timing cover (it isn't fun) and you should be able to clean like you have and then start looking for the leak. I advised another member to add a few drops of Oil Dye to the engine oil and then use a UV light to look for the Yellow/Green dye color at the highest point of oil leakage (clean it all up first, then add dye and start the car for a minute, turn it off and use a UV light to check for the dye to show up).
Marty

At the moment I have seen a small leak 2 days later in the camshaft seal, but it is a small leak, the large leak has to be lower.

Next week a friend comes with tools to lift the engine a little to remove the engine block that it holds, and to be able to remove the studs and disassemble what remains of the distribution cover.

I have been told that it may be nonsense such as: little tightening of the screws, such as cylinder head gasket, crankshaft seal, oil pump, the oil pan does not seem.

And I have another small leak in the dipstick, how can I change the O-ring that goes there on the dipstick?

Thank you very much for all the help

Hello family,
Well, waiting for some more spare parts to arrive to take the car to a workshop.

I have a doubt.

I ordered the oil pump kit in Rockauto, and there are 3 seals, could someone specify the seals that come?

I know that one is an oil pump, another can be counter-rotating and the third one I don't know if it is a crankshaft seal.

It is so as not to ask for the same repeated check again.

Thank you.

I attach a photo of the kit that I got.

I think they are labeled correctly but check the oil pump shaft vs the balance shaft seal to see which one is correct, I may have them backwards.
I do BSE's so I don't use that seal on mine (well I kept one car stock and it uses it).
Click on the picture to enlarge it.
Marty

If you can't find the oil leak after everything else is looked at, remove the lower timing belt cover and see if there's an oil puddle there that keeps coming back after you clean it. Maybe idle the engine while looking at that area to see where it's coming from. Most seal leaks end up there and it splashes onto the timing belt. If all else fails try putting some oil leak dye in the oil and after 10 minutes running watch with an UV light.

Gary, when I used oil dye it only took about a minute then I shut the car off and start looking. Sometimes the longer it runs, the more it sloshes the stuff around making a little more difficult to PIN POINT the leak is all. Dye is a very good thing to use, I agree!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back