The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil Leak From Timing Belt Area

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSXer

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 23, 2005
SE, Michigan
Background: 3-4 weeks ago I replaced the timing belt (replaced balance belt, balance tensioner, timing pulley, timing tensioner, idler, and water pump). I also installed new lifters durinig this time, so the valve cover came off as well.

Problem: I'm losing oil out of the right hand side of the engine from somewhere. It's going at a rate of about a quart per week and making a mess of everything.

Where I'm at now: I've taken everything necessary to get a good look at the timing belt area of the engine off again and while the cam seals might be slightly leaky, they aren't the source of all the oil loss IMO (too much is being lost). I attempted to clean up the mess and briefly ran the car (water pump belt, ect, isn't attached at the moment) and am getting what appears to be a slight build up of oil film on the inside of the timing belt pully. The tensioner is also suspect though, as I may be getting new oil around the bolt heads.

The Question(s): Where is this oil coming from? The bolt holes? I believe that at least one of them went through the engine to an oil passage possibly, but none of the resources I have checked so far (chlitons and VFAQ timing install) make mention of any. Has anyone experienced oil leaking from anywhere else in this general area? If so, where from - what's suspect?

Thanks in advance for replies ... hoping to get the car back together before tomorrow evening. If I've left anything critical out, just ask and I'll include/clarify.

well,clean up everything and try to run it again..you can run it for 3 minutes or more without the waterpump.

if oil is leaking from the boltholes, it may be a cracked front cover caused by torquing down the bolts too hard.

there is a bolt or two which requires rtv sealant in the threads on the front cover.

best idea: take out the bolts where the oil leak is coming from ..are they too long?... and put some rtv sealint in there and torque am down (they will be harder to get out later though,)use black or grey sealant,not some crazy red loctite gasket maker!

I agree with the last post. I like to use hondabond on everything myself. Consider investing in a UV Dye kit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back