The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

oil leak from exhaust mani stud?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmRemy

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2004
Winnipeg, Manitoba_Canada
I dont know if this is the right forum so please move it if you need to...

Broke the top left most (cylender 4) stud and had a local mechien shop drill it out. Now it seems that oil is leaking from the stud and out onto the manifold. They both drilled out the old stud and reinstalled a new one.

I called to find out if they had drilled into an oil gallary or something, they told me it was perfectly normal to tap into one and that i should just take the bolt out and seal it with some teflon sealer or something like that. I didnt think that it should fall on me to do it, so i called back the next day and they told me that "that stud doesnt run into an oil gallery" and that it must be comming from somewhere else

Ok now im not stupid or anything, but i figured ide take a look. This oil is clearly on the stud that they drilled out. i have 2 questions.

1. is there an oil gallery behind that stud? Is it normal to have oil leaking out after putting in an unsealed stud? or did they drill to far

2. Is there anywhere else the oil could maybe be leaking from and showing up on that stud? i know there isnt alot of info about it, but they way they said it it could be anything. Just thought ide ask the experts here before i try and throw it at them again

Thanks alot for any help

the middle stud in the bottom row has an oil gallery behind it ... the other ones do not I believe. Do you know for sure it's coming from the stud they fixed?

thats where it appears to be comming from. apperantly when its revs to around 3k oil seeps out of that stud and onto the manifold. I cant think of where else it could be commin from, it leaks when the car isnt even running but you can actualy see it leaking at over 3k

im not sure thats where its comming from, that was kinda my question. Anyone know where else it could be comming from?

If it helps you out any, I tapped into a water jacket when drilling out the third stud on the top and I am pretty sure that the last one on the top is water behind it too. I just used red RTV on it and haven't had a problem with it. Good luck!

cool, thanks ill give it a try but where is it comming from if there is no oil gallery back there?
((sorry by the way, i usualy use the search but for some reason just neglected it this time))

It's hard to know for certain without being there to see it, but it sounds almost certain that the shop drilled to far and yes, it's leaking now. As the others said this is normal, simply plug it with a good sealant compound in your threads that will hold up to HIGH temperatures (1200+).

You might want to complain to the shop, they are trying to convince you they didn't do it wrong, but at the same time, if they admit what they did don't hold it against them, it's incredibly hard to get out broken mani studs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back