The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Oil in Radiator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwiftKidGSX

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2003
Cerritos, California
Okay here is the scoop...

A few months ago I got the oil in the radiator problem so I got the head deck and replaced the H.G. and the problem still stands. So I took the head off again and took it to another machine shop to eliminate to possibilities of human error but I still have the problem I also had them pressure test the head and it came back in good condition. I torque the head down to ARP spec. The 20G is in healthy condition and I have pressured checked the oil cooler to check the possibility of it being crushed. At this point I really don’t know what else it could be. :( Also every time the car shuts down from the turbo timer the coolant reservoir begins to spew out water (oil for the most part) because it's full to its capacity and then when I check it later when the engine is cold, there isn’t any water in there what so ever...like when the engine need coolant... :mad: next thing that I am going to do is take it to RRE incase I am the one at guilt.

Anyone else have any ideas on what it could be?

Joey 99GSX

Attachments

• Eclipse 070 (Small).jpg
    Eclipse 070 (Small).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 189
  • Eclipse 071 (Small).jpg
    Eclipse 071 (Small).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 191
so oil in the coolant, but is there antifreeze in the oil?

Have you pressure tested the coolant system?
Have you had a steady drop in oil level?
Did you COMPLETELY flush the old crap out?

If the answers are good above then...
The hard truth...
If you have a good head, new HG and your still getting oil there and no other obvious leaks...
you must have a crack in the block somewhere. And since the oil pressure is well past the coolants 16 PSI, it acts like a one way valve.

First try to re torque the head studs. The block could be warped, and not allowing the head gasket to seal. If you have a metal head gasket, they need a completely flush surface on both sides. Also if there are any small pieces of old gasket, or any thing inbetween the mating surfaces, that will not allow a good seal.
Rob :dsm:

Bostedquest,

No coolant in the oil pan if that is your question. No I haven't pressure tested the cooling system because I didn't know that was possible or something that could have been done. I will do that next. My oil level doesn't seem to go down after I did the first H.G. change. Maybe it could be leaking at a rate so slow that I can't tell the difference. Yes I have flush the crap out of it...I let the car heat up to normal temp and then I screw out the thing to remove the water from the system as I have the car running I have the hose poring in new water. More water is going in then going out so I know I am not starving the engine of water.

93EclipseGSX,

Now that you mention about the possibly being warped...changing the metal head gasket with some other type material should fix the problem...no? Something other then a metal one that I have on now...

Joey 99GSX

SwiftKidGSX said:
Bostedquest,

No coolant in the oil pan if that is your question. No I haven't pressure tested the cooling system because I didn't know that was possible or something that could have been done. I will do that next. My oil level doesn't seem to go down after I did the first H.G. change. Maybe it could be leaking at a rate so slow that I can't tell the difference. Yes I have flush the crap out of it...I let the car heat up to normal temp and then I screw out the thing to remove the water from the system as I have the car running I have the hose poring in new water. More water is going in then going out so I know I am not starving the engine of water.

93EclipseGSX,

Now that you mention about the possibly being warped...changing the metal head gasket with some other type material should fix the problem...no? Something other then a metal one that I have on now...

Joey 99GSX
If you are not "loosing" oil, it is residual stuff still in engine.
cold water will not get it out.

sounds odd, but a good liquid degreaser in an all water swap could do it for you.

Here is what we did to rinse out my brothers engine.

Hot water and castrol degreaser (stuff in a purple bottle)

We put in a half gallon of the purple stuff topped off with water, let the car idle till warm with the thermostat out, then drain and refill.
We did that till it was just water and cleaner for the most part.

Pulled the car out in the street.
Hooked the garden hose up to the upper radiator hose with the car running. The the car run for a bit, cleaned it all out. Havent had any oil residue in the coolant since.

It was a big pain and time consuming, pretty much took half a day.

If the block is the issue, changing from a metal to a factory head gasket will possibly work for a while. Though over time the toll of boost will cause the problem to reoccur. You can check the block by placing a straight edge on it. When the engine cycles through the normal warm up heat cycles a couple of times the head studs need to be retourqed. Always use the k.i.s.s. process to aleviate unneccesary waiste of time, start with the easiest checks first.
Rob :dsm:

[QUOTE='93EclipseGSX]Always use the k.i.s.s. process to aleviate unneccesary waiste of time.
Rob :dsm:[/QUOTE]

You lost me there bro...what does k.i.s.s. mean?

Joey 99GSX

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back