The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Oil in coolant

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttravis88t

Proven Member
Jul 25, 2021
Jacksonville, Florida
Hello, so I was doing a flush to my cooling system and the worst case scenario happened, oil in my coolant, which most likely means blown HG but what’s strange is I don’t over heat, I don’t have white smoke out the exhaust, and my oil dipstick shows perfectly clean oil. At first I thought the substance in my coolant was just radiator sludge but after looking at the bottom of the bowl I emptied it in I could see small amounts of oil beading up at the bottom and it also smelled like exhaust fumes. So I know it’s most likely the head gasket, but I’ve had a buddy tell me that it could potentially be the turbo is bad and it’s allowing oil to mix with the coolant? I don’t know how that would even happen since they shouldn’t even have any gasket or seal to separate the 2 fluids but I wanted to get another opinion. Any ideas? Thank you

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I will conceed. I still think the op needs to rule out all suspects, including the cooler, before jumping to head gasket. Simple quick leakdown and coolant pressure tests will likely reveal the issue
I hope I did not come off as arrogant. I just wanted to add my input to it is all. I usually just go straight for the leak down too so there is never usually much guessing for me. It makes it obvious.

I hope I did not come off as arrogant. I just wanted to add my input to it is all. I usually just go straight for the leak down too so there is never usually much guessing for me. It makes it obvious.
Not at all. I had to think about it for a minute. Coming loose alone would not mix coolant and oil.
Cooler is still one of many suspects.

Yes it lit
In addition, if the cooler is suspect: How to test an Oil Cooler
See I think I disagree on this one guys. But correct me if I am wrong. In order for the coolant and oil to mix the cooler would have to have been overtightened and crushed and would need to be replaced. The coolant fins would have to be damaged for them to mix. They are sealed from each other internally. That rubber seal is only to prevent an oil leak from where the cooler meets the housing. The paper gasket would not cause it either. That is only for oil. The center stud has come loose on almost every DSM I have owned and yeah it leaks oil but does not mix.

I have had a ton of blown head gaskets and actually only few have ever put off white smoke out of the exhaust. And that one was completely screwed and lifted the head. A lot of the time it was either pushing coolant from exhaust gases or oil in the coolant. You normally get the oil in the coolant (which is what is happening here) with a blown head gasket because oil pressure is higher with the car on. When the car get shut off the coolant pressure sticks around longer and then it can get into the oil.

I have never heard of coolant and oil actually mixing from a turbo. The coolant just passes through the housing for cooling. So in order for that to happen I feel like you would have to smash the thing with a hammer or somehow have a massive deep crack. I guess its not impossbile, but I have never heard of that actually being the cause.

While I agree it is possible to be the oil cooler, if it is, it would have to have completely failed and need replaced. Thus, most likely I believe its a head gasket. But Pauley is right, a leakdown and pressure test will tell all.

Also I do not really see where you think someone used rtv at some point. I see the orange seal. But are you talking about the black stuff along the edge that is cracking?
Well I’ll be damned… look at this

Well thats a lot better than a head gasket.
Damn right, now the fun part is gonna be finding one of these things new that won’t cost an arm and a leg. I don’t think I’m willing to risk buying a used one for it to also be bad.

You will be surprised what people will shotgun at issues instead of diagnosing them.
That is the truth and a serious personal pet peeve. On a dsm there is no reason to guess anymore. Now some things it's easier to throw on a spare part but basic diagnostic skills should be practiced.
I would never buy any new repair part without some diagnosis to justify my purchase. Diagnosis by checkbook is real expensive.

Not you. You did the right thing.
Oh gotcha I was confused haha. I thought I diagnosed it just about as well as I could. I see what you mean though. Most people would’ve just changed the headgasket no questions asked and wasted time and money

Oh gotcha I was confused haha. I thought I diagnosed it just about as well as I could. I see what you mean though. Most people would’ve just changed the headgasket no questions asked and wasted time and money
worse than that you would still have the problem.
Great job with the diagnosis.

You will be surprised what people will shotgun at issues instead of diagnosing them.
Guilty as charged, on occasion. Thought I did trace a coolant leak back to the water pump, and didn’t try to replace core plug behind the a/c compressor where it appeared to be dribbling from. I run about 50% in this category.

Who are you referring to?
Just in general. I’ve almost taken chances on big resale value cars because I think most people don’t go into depth with maintaining cooling systems. Specifically maintaining pressure.
Guilty as charged, on occasion. Thought I did trace a coolant leak back to the water pump, and didn’t try to replace core plug behind the a/c compressor where it appeared to be dribbling from. I run about 50% in this category.
We’ve all done it for sure.

Yes it lit

Well I’ll be damned… look at this

So as I’m putting the cooler back on I realized that the area inside where oil flows in is filled with with water from when I tested it to make sure it’s a good unit. I assume there are channels that oil goes through while the car is running and I have water trapped in it. Any ideas how to get it out? I already tried submerging the whole thing in oil to try to let it force some water out but idk how well it did. Will I just have to live with it and hope nothing f***s up?

Stick it in the oven for an hour at warm
I have a spot light that gets up to like 170 degrees and I’m pointing it directly on the cooler right now. Hopefully has the same affect as I can’t use the oven for car parts LOL😂 my fam wouldn’t like that very much

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back