The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil in antifreeze

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorldWideHavoc

Probationary Member
Nov 10, 2011
Laguna Niguel, California
So my mechanic told me that there is a little oil in my antifreeze. I looked under the car after it sat for a few days and found a few drops of my orange antifreeze with a dot of oil in the middle.... :cry:

Any suggestions on what the problem could be???

So my mechanic told me that there is a little oil in my antifreeze. I looked under the car after it sat for a few days and found a few drops of my orange antifreeze with a dot of oil in the middle.... :cry:

My guesses would be blown head gasket or possibly if you have a oil and water cooled turbo. Maybe both lines just happen to be leaking? I think the second one is just wishful thinking.

Orange antifreeze? Interesting.

I'd lean towards a blown head gasket too. Run a compression test with rad cap off and look for bubbles while checking compression.

Joel

Could a blown head gasket be the reason why my car sputters when I floor the gas?!? I don't get the same reaction when I drive "normal"? And I noticed that the liquid in question is below the BOV.

Could a blown head gasket be the reason why my car sputters when I floor the gas?!? I don't get the same reaction when I drive "normal"? And I noticed that the liquid in question is below the BOV.

The sputtering could be a lot of things, anywhere from fouled plugs to major boost leaks. The general consensus on this site would be to tell you to do a boost leak test and get back to us on that one.

Here is a link to how to build a boost leak tester. IC Pipe Tester

Joel

Usually, if your car has a blown head gasket, it would be smoking out the exhaust as well. Even after warm up. Does yours? does it look blue ish or white?

On 1991+ dsm's, an oil/water cooler style housing was used. You need to be careful not to overtighten the oil filter. Because you can contaminate your coolant and antifreeze with eachother.

Orange antifreeze LOL, isnt that Prestone for gm vehicles....haha

Usually, if your car has a blown head gasket, it would be smoking out the exhaust as well. Even after warm up. Does yours? does it look blue ish or white?

On 1991+ dsm's, an oil/water cooler style housing was used. You need to be careful not to overtighten the oil filter. Because you can contaminate your coolant and antifreeze with eachother.

Orange antifreeze LOL, isnt that Prestone for gm vehicles....haha

I may have been mistaken on the antifreeze color....the brand is Peak. No smoke whatsoever during or after startup. I think itmay have been rusted water for my mechanic having the car outside. I have a pic but can't upload from mt "smartphone".

As far as the sputteing I would try a boost leak test.
I've had the same problem. Before you go messing with the head gasket and compression test try this. There is a bolt that your oil filter screws on to on the filter housing. Remove oil filter and check to see if the bolt that it screws on to is loose going into the housing. I can't remember what size bolt it is off the the top of my head but that could be your problem. If it is loose just tighten it up and put your filter back on then flush your radiator until all oil residue is gone. You can use any detergent as long as there's no bleach in it. If you have any questions just pm me. Good luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back