1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Oil from head

Posted by tylercuevas93, Jun 20, 2013

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. tylercuevas93

tylercuevas93 Probationary Member

Joined Oct 19, 2012
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Hello all. just around the beggining of the year I picked up a 97 gst spyder. I've read up on oil leaking from the exhaust manifold and i will be buying a new exhaust gasket with new exhaust studs from arp (broken stud) and I read that I need to put some kind of stuff on the back sides of the studs and it will prevent the leaking. But another concern I had was oil on top of my head in the dish where the spark plug wires are. Maybe assuming i need a new valve cover gasket? Not to sure. Any input would be much appreciated. New to the forums and never really been the best at forums so excuse my wrong posting place or anything else.

2. mchustle

mchustle Proven Member

Joined Aug 8, 2009
    johnson city, Tennessee
    There is one stud on the mani that goes to an oil galley, if I remember correctly it is the bottom middle stud.

As for the oil on vc could be a leaking vc gasket or your oil cap, both of which are cheap and easy.

3. Gomes

Gomes Proven Member

Joined Jun 3, 2012
    Brantford, ON, Canada
    It would most likely be your oil cap as mchustle stated. Very unlikely the valve cover gasket. Had the same problem before.