The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil from center exhaust manifold stud hole?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmargelo

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 18, 2003
Glen Rock, Pennsylvania
I just had my 1G head rebuilt along with a 6Bolt. There seems to be oil leaking from around the center stud for the exhaust manifold. The oil mostly leaks when the turbo is boosting. I tightened the nut as much as I could, and it leaks a lot less now.

So, why would there be oil leaking from there and how do I fix it?

jmargelo said:
I just had my 1G head rebuilt along with a 6Bolt. There seems to be oil leaking from around the center stud for the exhaust manifold. The oil mostly leaks when the turbo is boosting. I tightened the nut as much as I could, and it leaks a lot less now.

So, why would there be oil leaking from there and how do I fix it?

If I'm not mistaken, there are 3 stud holes that have oil passages directly behind them, the center 3. Could be the studs were'nt threaded down far enough, or maybe that hole had been drilled out before and rethreaded, so it's slightly larger and allows oil to leak through the threads. It probably only leaks when you're boosting because oil pressure is going to blitz to ~85psi once you get above a few thousand RPM.

I'll try screwing the stud in further. All of the other studs are in a lot further than this one is. Thanks.

you need to put thread sealer on the middle one, it has a oil passage behind it. btw this is not extreme.

I had that exact problem with one of the heads I had done a few years ago. The machinest could not get the head stud out so he drilled it out and put a heal-a-coil (don't know if that is how it is spelled) in there and he actually drilled my oil passage. Oil everywhere when I went into boost. I ended up selling it to one of my friends and he put a small ball of liquid steel down in there before he put the stud back in. Problem solved. Just a suggestion if you can not stop the leak with anything else.

Got the stud to go in further and used sealer. Problem solved. Now we found another leak. BAH!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back