The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 420A Changing just Oil filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your spot on ... but really not even that much ... You lose what`s in the filter and just a little spillage.... Just went through this ...
Okay, I just dont have enough oil to do a full change, nor the money. So I figured new oil filter since I already have one, and top it off with whatever I lose and I'll be good.

Okay, I just dont have enough oil to do a full change, nor the money. So I figured new oil filter since I already have one, and top it off with whatever I lose and I'll be good.
Why would you put a clean filter with dirty oil.. It doesn't matter if you "top it off" with clean oil, the oil is still dirty..:confused:

You are so right ChessmoDSM , but he said he can`t afford a complete oil change .. A five dollar oil filter would give a little protection until he can save for a full change .. I also agree with red-devil .. but we don`t know this mans situation ... Alimony ... a new baby .. the bank foreclosed on his mortgage .ECT ...

I did a complete synthetic oil change at the beginning of summer then took my car to storage . While replacing the stock rad for a aluminum Mishimoto rad I notice the oil filter was this tiny little thing ( PZ37 ) and it was leaking around the top where it screws on to the block. You could clearly see that the filter did not sit right on the surface it was meant to . My odometer reads 428 km since the oil change. I went back to the Oil and Lube location and they gave me a hard time .They said this is the filter my import calls for.. It dawned on me that these people don`t have a clue about Mitsubishi cars so I ordered a Fram Synthetic Oil Filter from Rockauto ... I was not going to loose a hundred dollars worth of oil to change the filter so I swapped it out with the new one.. Look at how small the filter is ... This could have destroyed my car if I had not notice this... Check out these thumbs
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My point is.. Some times we have a reason for doing the odd things we do ...

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of long-interval oils (amsoil comes to mind) used to recommend regular filter changes in-between oil changes, because the oil might last 10,000 miles but the filter would only be good for 3-4,000 miles. Not saying it’s best practice, or what we should do with the DSM... just that it’s not a totally crazy idea.

Filter-only change is better than none, but if your oil is old enough that the wear properties are breaking down then even a filter change won’t really help.

Why would you put a clean filter with dirty oil. It doesn't matter if you "top it off" with clean oil, the oil is still dirty. :confused:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

It dawned on me that these people don`t have a clue about Mitsubishi cars so I ordered a Fram Synthetic Oil Filter from Rockauto. I was not going to loose a hundred dollars worth of oil to change the filter so I swapped it out with the new one.

My point is, some times we have a reason for doing the odd things we do.

You should throw that Fram in the trash. It's not that good. You should use a good old OEM big filter. Part# MZ690116. I say this because I just did a oil change (Mobil 1 Oil) and a Big OEM Filter, there is countless threads on here about which oil filter to use or which ones better as well as oil (Brad Penn, Mobil 1, etc). You can find these OEM oil filters on eBay, etc.

Here is the oil filter you should use. They are great and built well off eBay. I literally just ordered this same little kit here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi...118524&hash=item361df4f7dd:g:DrMAAOSwVGhZf4MK

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back