The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Oil filter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

01ss

Probationary Member
Jan 18, 2014
clinton, Iowa
I have a 90 talon TSI and the oil filter that was on it was way smaller than the one I put on it. That it calls for at AutoZone. so I'm not sure if anyone knows what oil filter I might need? STP Number would be good?

I could be wrong but the 2g filter and 1g will both fit. But the 2g is a smaller filter. I've always gone OEM or k&N I don't trust the cheap stuff after reading the thread on oil filter comparisons.

you could always run an evo filter as there sightly wider and shorter, Ive got the magnus filter and its some what shorter then the oem size.

You could try the HKS evo filter not cheep but the best i have used.

HKS/Greddy all the same and not so good paper filter. the royal purple has a thicker can and cloth filter, for what its worth the magnus is reuseable and after 8 changes will pay for its self!

HKS/Greddy all the same and not so good paper filter. the royal purple has a thicker can and cloth filter, for what its worth the magnus is reuseable and after 8 changes will pay for its self!

I see you have never used on then as no paper in one.

OEM # for cross reference: MZ690116 (OEM ones are great for filtration, but have a small O Ring)
WIX: 51381
Napa Gold: 1381 (made by Wix)
K&N: HP-1005]

I have a 90 talon TSI and the oil filter that was on it was way smaller than the one I put on it. That it calls for at AutoZone. so I'm not sure if anyone knows what oil filter I might need? STP Number would be good?
always use the 1g oil filter
they hold more oil and filter more oil

also only use Mitsubishi oem filters
the pepboys cheap filters are terrible for are cars..
also if you are not running a cat
I highly recommend brad penn

I see you have never used on then as no paper in one.

Ive not no, but my buddie with his Evo did and after opening it did not like what he found. After that he went royal ourple like me but I now gone to magnus

Purolator Pure One or Wix or OEM. The 1g oil filter is larger and in fact is the same as the 300gt vr4 oil filter. The 2g dsm have a smaller oil fiter. Either way they both fit, but i recommend the bigger one. Part numbers referenced above.
STP,Mobil 1 , k&n all made by Champion labs...Decent filters
Fram, microgard,pennzoil..all made same factory...Garbage ! Look em up if you dont believe me.

thanks guys it makes sense that they ###### put a 2g filter on it

Ph4612 less then 3 bucks at any autoparts store.
No Fram :barf:
Please do yourself a favor and spend the extra 2 or 3 bucks for a better filter guys. There is a thread on here of filters cut open, and the tragic disappointment of fram is never ending :mad:

Purolator Pure One or Wix or OEM. The 1g oil filter is larger and in fact is the same as the 300gt vr4 oil filter. The 2g dsm have a smaller oil fiter. Either way they both fit, but i recommend the bigger one. Part numbers referenced above.
STP,Mobil 1 , k&n all made by Champion labs...Decent filters
Fram, microgard,pennzoil..all made same factory...Garbage ! Look em up if you dont believe me.
Completely agree!!! :thumb:

Anybody ever try using one of these with a 1g oil filter housing w/ an external oil cooler, ME033810 or ME215002? These are used on the FUSO and are a bit bigger. I saw a video saying pretty much, "if it fits use it".

Heres is all the dsm/4g63 filters I dissected after use...
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

1st and 2nd image stp [part number S3950].

image below,left to right, Fram [part number ph3950] worst filter I ever saw [so far],wix [part number 51381],K&N [part number HP1005].

Image below: from left to right, bosch [part number 3402], mobil 1 [part number M1105] compared to K&N previously pictured and cut open K&N [part number again hp1005] The mobil 1 looks the same on the inside as the K&N to me same filter different brand names backing it...

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back