The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

oil filter sandwhich 6bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fehrion_sit

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2009
chalfont, Pennsylvania
after reading the merged thread for a while, im still confused as to how to get the oil filter sandwhich adpater in the car without hitting the downpipe i have a 3" for my 16g. a freind suggested a smaller filter but to me that seems like a bad idea ... does anyone have any ideas?

below are pictures i took from glowshift website and from underneith my car
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

any ideas? suggestions

Attachments

• 1288966806625.jpg
    1288966806625.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 502
first i would measure the clearance you have between your current filter 'housing' and your downpipe. then i would take the adapter to the parts store and start playing with some of the shorter but chubbier filters. you might be able to find one that would fit, maybe a little snug-ly. but then you wouldn't have to worry about downsizing your filter because that really doesn't sound like such a hot idea to me either.

my friend did it to his by changing the filter, 1st his was a seven bolt, second his blew up .... idk hopefully someone who has one will post pictures pleaseee! im not comfortable with having my filter touching or within heat transfer distance of my downpipe .... cooler oil = happy motor

i like the idea of this sandwhich adapter cause i can get sensors in but not at the expense of my oil filter

well i have an AFR kit to install so i was gonna take it off to have the bung welded in but if i can get one bent too while its out ... that might be a viable option

Easiest solution is a forward facing OFH

Here are some pics of my FFOFH and a greddy plate

I can go take more as its still on the stand if you would like. Just shoot me a PM

swade

Sorry if this is a dumb question, what is the benefit of going to your new glow shift housing?

Easiest solution is a forward facing OFH

Here are some pics of my FFOFH and a greddy plate

I can go take more as its still on the stand if you would like. Just shoot me a PM

swade

^Yup... Forward Facing Oil Filter Housing FTW!

-I then took this two steps further by using a oil filter relocation kit that spins onto the FFOFH and then integrated an air-to-oil cooler off of that. The FFOFH only has two provisions (1/8" NPT) for oil pressure sensors & turbo feed lines, but it's the best IMO to keep a large oil filter out of the way of a hot downpipe. The air-to-oil cooler is a 7x9" that fits in the 1gb's front driver's side air dam. Once installed, my 4g64 block now takes 5.5 quarts per oil change and uses a K&N HP-3001 (PH8A equivalent) filter:

well i have an AFR kit to install so i was gonna take it off to have the bung welded in but if i can get one bent too while its out ... that might be a viable option

As for the AFR's wideband sensor, I'd recommend installing the bung towards the end of the downpipe... That way it is A) more excessible and B) further away from the turbo's heat, thus increasing the wideband sensor's lifespan. The best place I found was in the area of the half axle inbetween the block & the sub frame.

Attachments

• P1080113 (Medium).jpg
    P1080113 (Medium).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 197
well the extension gives me ports to plug my oil pressure sensor gauge and oil temp if need be. but its clearly not worth the risk of the downpipe heat. i dont want to lose my idiot light .... where can i get forward facing oil filter housing? is it hard to install with the motor still in the car?

Extreme PSI sells the forward facing housing. although you loose you oil cooler unless you go with an external setup. I would either recommend keeping the stock setup, or getting a 90 oil filter housing and running an external oil cooler and using the extra port for your oil pressure sending unit. There isn't really a need for an oil temperature gauge on our cars. You are actually doing more damage by installer an oil temperature gauge because that means you have to remove the oil cooler.

If he is working on his car by his profile he has a 90 so no need for him to get the 90 ofh to run the external cooler. Plus with the oil temp gauge he could still use the oil cooler the way he wanting to go, thats why he want to use the sandwich adapter. But I would go with the relocation adapter if he doesn't want to get the front facing housing and put the oil filter away from the heat and that way you can use a larger oil filter.

Then there is no need for the product you want. Just add the oil pressure sending unit to your stock housing and be done with it.

Well crap...this didn't get a final answer and I have the exact same question but for a temp gauge instead of a pressure gauge. I have a '90 AWD with the factory external cooler as well. And a sandwich plate doesn't really look like it will fit properly. I noticed a couple hex key plugs on the factory housing...do those have check balls or anything in them or can they be used for a pressure/temp sensor?

Edit: I have found out that I can use the plugs that have the hex key plugs in them, but I dont know what thread pitch they are. My temp sensor is 1/8 npt, so I will need some adaptor to go from the OFH plug to the 1/8 npt, but I dont know the thread pitch on the OFH.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back