The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved 2G Oil filter housing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig13

Proven Member
Mar 25, 2020
Surprise, Arizona
I have done an absolute ton of research and I am hoping someone here can answer this for me. Every photo, reference, video, and diagram I see of every possible option of oil filter housing for the 4G63 shows the oil filter in front of the block on it's side. Mine sits vertically on the pulley side of the engine rather than the exhaust side of the block. It also has an external oil cooler instead of the donut looking one that I've seen on most other cars. I cannot figure out why mine is different and where it may have come from. There is also no oil pressure sending unit or dummy light that I was able to find on the housing. I have attached a photo for reference for anyone who may be able to help.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have done an absolute ton of research and I am hoping someone here can answer this for me. Every photo, reference, video, and diagram I see of every possible option of oil filter housing for the 4G63 shows the oil filter in front of the block on it's side. Mine sits vertically on the pulley side of the engine rather than the exhaust side of the block. It also has an external oil cooler instead of the donut looking one that I've seen on most other cars. I cannot figure out why mine is different and where it may have come from. There is also no oil pressure sending unit or dummy light that I was able to find on the housing. I have attached a photo for reference for anyone who may be able to help.

I have never seen that before on a 4g63...maybe the previous owner swapped in a different housing from like a 420a or something idk.....but if it works then I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you want to replace it I have one I can sell you.

You guys are amazing! I can't tell you how much time I've spent trying to figure this out so I didn't look like a squid when I finally had to post this question haha. I guess that also answers my question of why my oil pressure gauge doesn't work. I'm going to assume for now that there isn't a sending unit connected at this point.Thanks again for the help!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back