The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil filter cut away Fram & WIX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusSVO

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
Oil filter cut away Fram & WIX

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Fram on left, Wix on right

The Fram bypass valve, also notice the cardboard end caps

See the wix filter media mount on the right, Fram has a gasket

Last edited:
Autozone commercial here. We use Autolite filters for commercial. They are made by fram. Honestly though, these commercial filters sell for dirt cheap.

NAPA Gold 1381 for my Laser, but ran FRAMS for years in my other vehicles with no problems..course, I also do the recommended 3 mo/3k changes since I ran dino in these vehicles.

O'Reilly Microguard filters are made by FRAM also.

I have a OEM Mitsu 1g Filter that was damaged during shipping. If I remember I will cut it open and post pics.

Lol lots of green blood in here. I'm an assistant manager here in the CO. The Micro Gaurd is made by Fram. Nice to know there are such a diverse group of people to get the best of the best.

Its been years ago but when I worked at a nationally known engine reman factory we did some testing on a bunch of filters in the performance dept. The Frams were the absolute worst because as soon as you started the engine the bypass would activate. Yes we tested some like the Xtra guard with the same results. So the filter media never saw oil flow from your pump. If I remember right almost 90% or so would bypass the oil around the media after start up. This was over 10 years ago but from the recent ones cut open they look to be the same still. The WIX, K&N, Purolator, and Mobil 1 were some of the better filters at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad used Fram oil filters for years on all of our cars, and they each went 100k+ miles w/o any problems. However, oil changes were done every 3k miles so I'm not sure if that helped.

I've never used Fram filters on my car (but I'll use them on my parent's and my wife's car :) ). I use Supertech filters from Wal-Mart or purolator.

What a perfect time to do this. I was wanting to see how a STP stacked up against WIX and had one that I was going to take off my car with this oil change today. STP didn't look too horrible and when I got it last oil change it was all they had in stock besides LOLfram.

Is the cut-a-way of that WIX filter part number 51381? It doesn't look like it. I heard there are 2 WIX filters for DSM's. A larger one, and a smaller one. I used the FRAM PH3950 in the past, which is the larger (height wise), but larger diameter then the PH8A I see in the 1st post. I see the one (FRAM) cut open here is the PH8A, which I believe is the "smaller" of the FRAM filters. Can someone point me in the right direction for a WIX filter? I would like the part number for the WIX filter that would filter the MOST volume. I am building a 9:1 (6 bolt) that will see 8,000+ RPM regularly (drag motor). I've used the FRAM PH3950 that was shorter (height wise) because it gave me more room around the down pipe. I run and external oil cooler and haven't found a forward facing oil filter housing that has external oil cooler lines, if anyone knows of such and OFH, please let me know.

Yeah I saw those things. I'm not really trying to add more parts. It's hard enough to keep up with everything that needs to checked over on a drag car. Let alone adding more things to the list between runs. I might have to rethink my exhaust setup.

Having the oil filter right below the downpipe does tick me off sometimes.

Im also glad i stopped using fram oil filters.And the last time i checked at wallmart.They were not even selling the 1g/vr4 ph3950 filter anymore..

I think i even made a thread about it LAST winter.

OEM filters and GL4 spec oil might be great for a 190hp stock motor. 600+whp and 8,000+ rpm has no business using OEM oil filters or oil designed for "emissions" standards.

Please quit giving wrong advise. The oem filter is one of the best you can get. Horsepower and rpm are rather irreverent to filtering oil.

I will be able to cut open the fram extra guard filter open but im coming to the states tomorrow so wont be for a few weeks i can either open a used one or new one! Unless someone gets to it before me

Former Advance Auto commercial guy here. Promotive is the cheap, wholesaler version of the Purolator filter. Quality wise, its comparable to the Purolator Classic line. I had cut a couple open when I worked there, but I've lost the pictures over the last few years. Driveworks replaced the Promotive line in late '09, if I remember right. I didn't get the opportunity to cut one open, but I believe they were still being made by Purolator. Don't hold me to that though. I'd like to see one of those Driveworks cut open though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back