The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

oil feed to my turbo, restrictor or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lars y

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 11, 2007
Halden, Europe
hey,

i read the 4page thread about oil feed (but im not allowed to post there yet). it seemed that the head would be the best place for me to tap into since it gives around 30-40psi, and they say on the garrett homepage that the pressure must not exceed 60psi to the turbo. (i have a gt3076r ball bearing)
but when i bought the turbo i was also given a "GT Restrictor", do i need to use it even if i take oil from the head? or did i get it incase i wanted to use the filter housing?

thanks

every engine has different oil pressures either from the head or the OFH. I would first install a gauge and see what are the pressures, then decide if you need the restrictor depending from those readings.

ah yeah i see, ill do that thanks HITT1

but just out of curiosity, if say i have 30psi from the head, and i use the restrictor, will the pressure drop? or does the restrictor just regulate the pressure to the optimal for that turbo?

alright thanks!
yea i was thinking about using a microfilter just to be sure.

i read the holset bb turbos must have no less than 30psi under load and a minimum of 10psi at idle.

i will send an email to garrett and ask what the minimum oil pressure should be on my turbo.

i read the holset bb turbos must have no less than 30psi under load and a minimum of 10psi at idle.
There are no ball bearing Holsets.

i will send an email to garrett and ask what the minimum oil pressure should be on my turbo.
They're probably tired of getting emails, hence their FAQ.

Garrett FAQ said:
Oil pressure entering a ball-bearing turbocharger needs to be between 40 psi and 45 psi at the maximum engine operating speed. For many common passenger vehicle engines, this generally translates into a restrictor with a minimum of 0.040" diameter orifice upstream of the oil inlet on the turbocharger center section. Again, it is imperative that the restrictor be sized according to the oil pressure characteristics of the engine to which the turbo is attached. Always verify that the appropriate oil pressure is reaching the turbo. The use of an oil restrictor can (but not always) help ensure that you have the proper oil flow/pressure entering the turbocharger, as well as extract the maximum performance.

JusMX141: ok. But what i need to know is what the minimum oil pressure is allowed to be, garrett only specifies what the maximum pressure should be in their faq.

I emailed Garrett and they redirected me to a company here in Norway that sells their turbos, but they didnt know what the minimum operating oil pressure is either.

There is no set minimum during idle or unloaded cruising because the shaft is fully supported by the bearings- the oil is there only to lube the bearings, so the shaft isn't riding on a film of oil like in a journal bearing turbo.

Think of it this way- in a two cycle engine like those found on weed eaters and chainsaws, the ball bearings which support the crank are lubed only by the small amount of oil that you mix with the gasoline. Ball bearings really do require very little oil to operate.

so the black fp filter with a .030 restrictor would be sufficient right? because its a filter and a restrictor in one would i still need to run the gt restrictor that the turbo comes with also?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back