The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil deposits around valve cover, oil under spark cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2GBenDSM

Probationary Member
Feb 26, 2014
Lawrence, Kansas
Hey all, I was digging around in my newly bought 97 GS-t and noticed that there is some build up around where the vavle cover meets the engine block, I decided to snoop around a little more and took off the spark plug cover, revealing some oil in the corners, on some of the plugs, some on the wires, some on the cover itself and even some on the screws. I think the deposit issue is a valve cover gasket, but what about the other problem?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[DOUBLEPOST=1407970397][/DOUBLEPOST]
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here is the deposit on the valve cover

Last edited:
When I bought my gsx it was like that. I put on a new valve cover (old one had a crack in it) and gasket and now theres no more oil leak.

I hear the valve cover on dsm is a flawed design. If you torque the bolts even just a little the cover cracks (correct me if I'm wrong). That's expensive to fix though. I'd start by looking into the cap and gasket. I have the same issue on my 97 gsx. i just have bigger fish to fry at the moment...

Crankcase pressure is the culprit most of the time. And that pressure is usually from a faulty pcv. Get a new OEM pcv and add a 3/8" kynar check valve. That alleviated my leaky oil cap instantly.
Also, the VC gasket is shit. ANd as stated, torquing it just right is crucial. I used a dab of red rtv(grey would be better thinking back on it) all around the lining. Just a small layer to help the gasket seal with the VC. Check the pcv valve though and def put in a check valve. It'll work

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back