The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

oil cooler on front bumper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funfettie

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2011
Menomonie, Wisconsin
hay guys,
Im thinking about ditching the liquid oil cooler and running an air cooler on my 2g dsm(6 bolt swapped). It seems that everyone in the DSM community keeps there oil cooler behind the front bumper, but has anyone placed the cooler in front of the bumper cover? I have seen a bunch of honda/datsun/stance cars run this and i think on the right car it looks awesome! Anyone happen to have seen this on a dsm? Thoughts on its looks?

Heres an example of the cooler outside the car

Attachments

• oilcoolerstance.jpg
    oilcoolerstance.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 761
hay guys,
Has anyone placed the cooler in front of the bumper cover? I have seen a bunch of honda/datsun/stance cars run this and i think on the right car it looks awesome! Thoughts on its looks?

:barf:

Looks ghetto.

Besides, it will block air to a front-mount intercooler.

Looks like crap... :ohdamn: But that's just stanced cars in general. ;) I mean, why even run a cooler on a car like that? What's it run in the quarter??? 20 seconds flat?

Anyway, on a dsm like yours for instance, I would just put it where everyone else does. Behind one of the side vents in the front bumper where the fog lights go. It looks like you don't have any fog lights, so that makes that much more room for fitting a cooler and getting air to it. :)

That looks like a giant pile of crap. I would NEVER want my car to look like some primer wearing, hooptie like that.

Disgraceful....

Besides... the bumper "protects" it a little bit... having it hanging out there is just ASKING for a rock/bottle/bullet/baseball bat/shoe to take a whack at it and grenade your engine.

Lets hondas deal with terrible mods, keep the DSM's actually looking good. those coolers outside the bumper provide 0 gains of anything.

Here's mine you could run longer lines n mount it where ever you like..i dont know why you would want to but its your car

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

hay guys,
Im thinking about ditching the liquid oil cooler and running an air cooler on my 2g dsm(6 bolt swapped). It seems that everyone in the DSM community keeps there oil cooler behind the front bumper, but has anyone placed the cooler in front of the bumper cover? I have seen a bunch of honda/datsun/stance cars run this and i think on the right car it looks awesome! Anyone happen to have seen this on a dsm? Thoughts on its looks?

I'd also like to know, I think it looks pretty cool, kinda a new thing coming along in the "JDM" world. But at the same time if he afraid of it being exposed so much. I wouldn't be against the look, it's ## car man:hellyeah: I'd love to see how it looks!

I think in front of the bumper is a bad place for it if you drive your vehicle on the street any. Too much risk of hitting something in the road, losing oil and locking your motor up

Yea I'm not the biggest fan of that look. If the car is built to be a rat rod then it doesn't look to bad.

I don't like to block the air going to the front mount... I put mine where the SMIC used to be:

I'm not a fan of how that would look either!

What I did on my 95 GSX with a manual transmission, I found (on this site) a used automatic transmission cooler from a 2G and installed it in the bumper opening on the drivers side were it was designed to fit. All the hardware, shroud etc. were available as well and it sits right close to the oil filter housing. It's been on there now for about 4 years and works fine.

Just stack it in front of your FMIC or radiator, it'll see more air there than behind your bumper and you don't have oil lines dangling outside. Like 99.9% of people on this forum your FMIC is probably oversized. You'd be an idiot to think that a 12x4x2 oil cooler is going to suddenly going to make your IATs jump up. If you're that worried stack it on the outlet side of your IC where's basically no heat transfer going on.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back