The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved Oil catch can question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

914 Cheeko

Probationary Member
Jul 10, 2018
Newtown, Connecticut
So I have my Evo 0 I am still working on and I have a breather catch can (wrong type for this car) that was included by the previous owner. I'm a poor teenager that doesn't want to spend $15-30 on a branded/ebay catch can and I don't know how to do any type of fabrication, I know oil catch cans are easy to fab. I was wondering if I could simply take off the air filter from the top of the catch can and hose clamp something over the hole to make it a sealed catch can, like a piece of rubber tubing and obviously tighten the hose clamp a lot so it doesn't get sucked in. It has two hose ports which is what I need, it's just that I don't need the breather. would this cause any air flow problems, or affect the way the oil gets caught in the inner filters?

So I have my Evo 0 I am still working on and I have a breather catch can (wrong type for this car) that was included by the previous owner. I'm a poor teenager that doesn't want to spend $15-30 on a branded/ebay catch can and I don't know how to do any type of fabrication, I know oil catch cans are easy to fab. I was wondering if I could simply take off the air filter from the top of the catch can and hose clamp something over the hole to make it a sealed catch can, like a piece of rubber tubing and obviously tighten the hose clamp a lot so it doesn't get sucked in. It has two hose ports which is what I need, it's just that I don't need the breather. would this cause any air flow problems, or affect the way the oil gets caught in the inner filters?

You could definitely cap it off. Measure the opening and hit up your local hardware store, tell them you need to cap off a pipe and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

I can't tell what setup you have but the intake pipe would draw air from the catch can and wouldn't hurt any flow to the turbo. This is roughly how the stock setup works. You could always install a port/nipple the same size as the catch can breather port.

All I can say is get some check valves so you're not pressurizing the can if it's going between the pcv valve and your intake manifold, my last rendition I didn't have the check valves and it puked the oil out of every seam no matter what I used to seal them (My cans are bolted together).

As @rEclipserGST said Google his tag line and you'll come across a thread by @Calan. Very comprehensive and explains things well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back