The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil catch can install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manik511

Probationary Member
Jul 17, 2021
Forest Grove, Oregon
I'm new to the 4g63, got a dual hose oil catch can with two breathers on top and was wondering what's the best/easiest way to hook it up. Do most of you put it in between pcv or one hose from valve cover to can and other from can to intake/vaccum source or just both hoses from valve cover fittings to can? I'm just gonna dump it when full. Thanks

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Many ways to do it and depends how mad and sophisticated you wish to get with it

Both lines from the valve cover go to the catch can. The purpose of the catch can is to eliminate the lines going back into your intake. I do the same, just dump it a few times a year.
Okay, should I make my own holes in VC n put the fittings it came with or use the breather neck and make my own hole or just put one in breather and one in pcv and put a cap on the intake from where the pcv hose went to?

Best way to do it is to upgrade your vc breather and your old pcv to 10an, and run that directly to your catch cab. Usually this requires 10an bungs to be welded on.
But what about a vacuum source to help suction from VC to the can? Isn't it better to have one hose to a vacuum source from can and one or two from VC to can?

But what about a vacuum source to help suction from VC to the can? Isn't it better to have one hose to a vacuum source from can and one or two from VC to can?
Or ars you saying to just make the breather hole bigger and out a filter on the end or no filter so it has better flow out from VC and then run one hose from bigger pcv to the can and other hose from can to intake? I don't really want to delete the pcv purpose but do want to make sure more air is getting out of crank case and going back to intake but cleaner. And if I did go this route do I want breathers on top of my can still?

It's arguable whether it's better to use a vacuum source or not. On one end the vacuum may help the engine run better and on the other end you may be introducing oil to your intake system and gases that can't be used for combustion. After going both routes I have settled on a non-vacuum setup. Not worth the hassle to hook up the vacuum.

Both lines from the valve cover go to the catch can. The purpose of the catch can is to eliminate the lines going back into your intake. I do the same, just dump it a few times a year.
But what about vaccum source to help it suck it out into the can? The way I hooked the one up on my turbo integra is I put a hose from both pcv and breather to a T so that they are both being used with one hose going to the can and the other hose going to the intake for vacuum.. Haven't really seen it done but made since to me and since my cans only have 2 holes in the can I still wanted to have 2 ports from the VC going to can and still have a vaccum source going to intake.. Only problem is I should be a check valve on the hose before the intake.. Here's a Pic. Lmk what you think

I think I'll just do what your saying first and see how it runs.. How much oil are you catching in yours without using a vacuum source? If I'm not getting much into the can I'll just run one from pcv to can and other from can to intake with check valve in between.. I feel like my setup on the integra should work well with only being able to use the 2 hoses on the can to where im still getting air/oil from VC from breather and pcv port to can and using a filter in bottom of can and a screen in each hole where the hoses come into can and back into the intake.. Maybe I'll try both like you did and go from their cus I guess it all depends on how big your build is and how much Franke case pressure your really getting that needs to be pushed or pulled out.. Thanks thou appreciate the advice!

I agree with what vegas said above as well. my CC is quite big and I do not drive my car very often. Usually I dump it when I do an oil change. Makes things easy to remember. I for one do not want to re-introduce any oil into my system so I have always ran both lines to the CC without vacuum. Give it a shot - worse case you can run lines differently later.

I know it’s a little different since my cans are sealed but I run a separate can for the breather and PCV. The breather is a single -12an calan can that goes to the intake pipe and the PCV is the stock sized hose to a sealed mishimoto separator. I drain mine every few times I drive it, even if it’s a small amount.

I agree with what vegas said above as well. my CC is quite big and I do not drive my car very often. Usually I dump it when I do an oil change. Makes things easy to remember. I for one do not want to re-introduce any oil into my system so I have always ran both lines to the CC without vacuum. Give it a shot - worse case you can run lines differently later.
Yeah I think I'll do that, but will it be okay to just use the breather neck and pcv port on VC going to catch can and plug the intake vaccum that went to pcv? I rather not delete pcv system and should probably just use breather then make my own hole with fitting but in being lazy with it LOL. So burnt out of finishing up my other project finally hopefully tomorrow. But aftevi have a good break ill definitely try without vaccum cource first and see how it goes. Thanks!

I know it’s a little different since my cans are sealed but I run a separate can for the breather and PCV. The breather is a single -12an calan can that goes to the intake pipe and the PCV is the stock sized hose to a sealed mishimoto separator. I drain mine every few times I drive it, even if it’s a small amount.

Yeah that's another thing, should I take out the filter breathers on the CC? Or just leave them if I'm running both hoses straight from VC to can? Also I have no idea how fast my can will fill cus it's a new rebuild and have no idea how much it'll push out for power until my Dyno tune on Aug 31st. So if I'm getting that high of crankcase pressure I'll do what you did and hook up 2 cans same way you did. Thanks!

When you did this did you delete your pcv system or keep it stock the way it is? And if you deleted it did you use the pcv port to make bigger for a fitting to CC and use breather for other hose to CC or make a new hole? Then just plug intake that went to pcv if you did delete pcv system since you don't want anything going to intake? Thanks for the help really appreciated. New to these builds and once done with my integra in gonna focus on the Eagle and keep learning and probably us this site quite a bit LOL

Both valve cover fittings get converted to 10an. PVC is removed, intake tube fittings (if you have them) are capped or plugged. I personally do not want anything going into my turbo other than air. Plus it cleans up a ton of mess under the hood.

Take it from a Honda guy as well (I own a boosted S2000 too) they are completely different vehicles, not much to compare.

You might need to zoom in, but this is the best pic I have of my setup on my phone... both lines go to the CC. No lines to my intake, clean, simple, and usually I only need to drain mine when I do my oil changes since my can is on the larger side.

I previously had lack of breather issues. 2 -10an off valve cover with custom baffles, sealed can with 1 -10an to intake. Works great. In 2,000 miles my intake pipe is still 100% clean so the oil is getting caught.

Both valve cover fittings get converted to 10an. PVC is removed, intake tube fittings (if you have them) are capped or plugged. I personally do not want anything going into my turbo other than air. Plus it cleans up a ton of mess under the hood.

Take it from a Honda guy as well (I own a boosted S2000 too) they are completely different vehicles, not much to compare.
Okay, well that's what I'll do then. Thanks again with bearing with me! I just get so indecisive when it comes to catch cans cus so many people have their own opinions and some boosted engines needs a vaccum source and some don't but sounds like in this case with the 4G it's fine without it depending on setup. But I think mine will be fine without it.

I previously had lack of breather issues. 2 -10an off valve cover with custom baffles, sealed can with 1 -10an to intake. Works great. In 2,000 miles my intake pipe is still 100% clean so the oil is getting caught.

Yeah if I have the same issue then I'll try a vaccum source also. Nice setup btw! Looks great, I can't wait to put more time into mine and dress it up a Lil better and dump a Lil more money into it. I wonder if it makes much of a difference putting the fittings on the VC on the side or on top like yours and that's why you were having breathing issues.. That's another things I see a lot of back and forth on is where to face the fittings on VC. Think ima just stick with the breather and pcv port for now

You might need to zoom in, but this is the best pic I have of my setup on my phone... both lines go to the CC. No lines to my intake, clean, simple, and usually I only need to drain mine when I do my oil changes since my can is on the larger side.
Very nice! I'll do the same and see how it goes. So did you even put anything in the bottom of can, guess it wouldn't be necessary if you don't need anything filtering before going to an intake port so no reason right? Cus mine is just an empty can, but on the integra since I'm using a intake source I put a screen on the intake hose from can and a piece of brush pad at bottom of can to catch any oil debris if there is any for any reason.

Copy. Heres how my setup looks like now, still trying to decide where to put the can, haven't had time to install it yet, plus I'm not running it until my Dyno tune date cus the tune is way off and Idk enough when it comes to all that yet and not comfortable messing with it.

The location of fittings on valve cover aren’t that important as long as there is some sort of baffles. They help greatly to stop from filling the catch can with oil. I dump mine twice a year and it’s never close to full. This is on a very loose 1/2 filled block car at well over 500whp.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back