The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Oil and coolant on top of the tranny?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett Euton

Probationary Member
Sep 28, 2015
Port Neches, Texas
Sorry new to dsmtuners.com but anyways I was driving my car the other day and i already noticed that I'm in need of a new clutch, I was driving the other day at a car show and launched my car a few times. I parked at a gas station to fill up and saw smoke like in front of the battery but in front(I'm assuming I burnt my clutch, anyhow I got my oil changed and new tires car ran fine for a few days then all of sudden 2 days later I drove home 3 minutes away and my car started to overheat 3/4 I parked my car in the garage popped my hood and white smoke everywhere. I went to bed so I could figure out what was happening I moved the battery and maf and noticed oil and coolant on top of the tranny.. Kind of stuck I have no idea where it's coming from there is no source from what I can find. Oil was low and coolant was low.

Check all your coolant lines coming from thermostat housing to throttle body etc, heater hoses, lines to turbo. Its gotta be one of those. Very easy to find you just have to look.

You probably need a new valve cover gasket set too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I cleaned all the oil off the trans, and I put more oil in the car, I started it up, let it idle and at normal temp I see a puddle of oil coming from on top of the cross member, my jack is broke now.. (Of course) so I can't jack it up to see. Just trying to figure out where... Buying a new jack tomorrow and seeing what I can find.

Okay so I cleaned all the oil off the trans, and I put more oil in the car, I started it up, let it idle and at normal temp I see a puddle of oil coming from on top of the cross member, my jack is broke now.. (Of course) so I can't jack it up to see. Just trying to figure out where... Buying a new jack tomorrow and seeing what I can find.
I've been having the same trouble with mine if it is oil and it's on the cross member take the flywheel inspection plate off and see if there is oil in there or move the fork boot and look inside and see if there is oil. From what I understand it is a rear main seal. At least that is what it is on mine I changed it once but it still leaked so I'm going at it again.

if its oil and coolant i'd guess a head gasket. if its just oil, could be rear main seal or valve cover leaking. just coolant could be leaking thermostat seal. if its overheating air is getting into the cooling system. a sign of a blown head gasket. coolant is a white smoke that smells kinda sweet. oil has a blueish tint and smells like hot oil.

Yea sorry been taking the head off my eclipse for the past hour LOL yea it's the headgasket I jacked it up and let it run and it was the front passenger side leaking, I'm unsure why.. It's totally random but there it is.. I was gonna tighten the head bolts.. But just might as well change it.... Really need ARP head studs/:

for the coolant leak check the hoses going to tb and check the hoses going to the heater core. for the oil leak where does it start by the valve cover or lower?

Post a few pics of your HG surface on both the head and block.

Clean the flashing out of the oil return ports and do oil port mod one

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back