The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Oil and coolant mixing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay braze

Probationary Member
Jun 4, 2019
ROHNERT PARK, California
My Eclipse GSX build was finally completed and on the 1st start up oil was coming out of the turbo so we turned off the car and oil and coolant were mixed. Nothing is mixed in the top half of the engine, only once it passed through the turbo was it mixed. I sent the turbo back to forced performance who ran a leak test and found nothing wrong.

But if it was a head gasket wouldn't I have oil and coolant mixed in the top end?

The next step I guess is to run the engine without the turbo and see if oil and coolant are getting mixed. My mechanic says there's no way its not the turbo. But just seeing if anyone knows or can explain how it would be the head gasket and not the turbo if nothing is mixed before going through the turbo.

Am I missing something?

Check the oil cooler where the oil filter bolts onto the oil filter housing.

-Daniel

If turbo and head gasket are good, check your oil cooler. If that gets torqued too tight it will crush and allow the oil and coolant to mix.

Nothing is mixed in the top half of the engine, only once it passed through the turbo was it mixed.
How could you tell where the coolant was mixed, the whole system should be contaminated.

Run the turbo without coolant to it, the turbo does not mix the oil and coolant

Youre missing something. Sounds like your mechanic messed something up rebuilding it

My Eclipse GSX build was finally completed and on the 1st start up oil was coming out of the turbo so we turned off the car and oil and coolant were mixed. Nothing is mixed in the top half of the engine, only once it passed through the turbo was it mixed. I sent the turbo back to forced performance who ran a leak test and found nothing wrong.

But if it was a head gasket wouldn't I have oil and coolant mixed in the top end?

The next step I guess is to run the engine without the turbo and see if oil and coolant are getting mixed. My mechanic says there's no way its not the turbo. But just seeing if anyone knows or can explain how it would be the head gasket and not the turbo if nothing is mixed before going through the turbo.

Am I missing something?
Most of the time this is a result of your oil filter housing having a leak. Some times these crack and the oil gets pushed into where the coolant goes around it to cool it.

The engine was fully built, its a 4gcs stroker motor, hks 272 cams, top end was machine shopped. It's possible the gasket was bad but really hope it's not the head gasket. Gonna run the car without the turbo and see if it's getting mixed still. Gonna check the oil cooler as well, which I'm thinking/hoping could be the problem. I'll post an update once I go through it

9/10 times it's the head gasket. Save yourself the trouble and do a leakdown test. If FP says it's not the turbo, then it's not the turbo. They're reputable. Plus that is super rare and uncommon. Could be the oil cooler, but probably won't be the case.

Oil and coolant don't only mix in the top or bottom end. If your mechanic told you that, and he built this motor, then you can bet your last dollar he has no idea what he's doing and there's probably countless things he messed up. He's already sketchy for telling you "there's no way its not the turbo". Because he is either dumb or he doesn't want to admit it's the headgasket.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back