The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Resolved Spyder OFH Port Identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogWhistle

Supporting VIP
Sep 13, 2012
St. Paul, Minnesota
We want to add an oil pessure gauge to our 4G64. We do not want to tee off of the existing dash light port if at all possible. We’ve read too many stories of tees breaking off.

Can one of these other ports be used for the gauge sensor, or do we have to use a different OFH?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The bottom plug is the one I pull (well I pull them all and reinsert) and add a BSPT to NPT adaptor to it then run an 3 or 4an line to your sensor. It keeps the vibration off of the OFH and you can even tee it if you need more than one outlet. That slanted bottom port is clean oil that I feed my turbo with. Before you ruin it, apply a little heat to it as it has some thread locker on it from the factory and you risk stripping out the head. Ask how I know....:)

You should be able to use any of them for a pressure gauge. The choice here is much less concerning than choosing a port to feed your turbo, for instance, where you’d want to be certain you use a post-filter port to do that.

Still, you’ll see some pressure drop through the filter but it shouldn’t be so significant that it would raise flags to you while you observe the gauge.

Lastly, definitely consider Marty’s approach. I don’t know what sensor you will be using (not that it matters to me at all), but if it is too big to thread into the housing directly next to the dummy light sensor, it can certainly make your life easier doing a remote-type setup and can drastically improve the life of your sensor.

If the pressure sensor is AEM style, directly installing on the OFH wouldn't be a problem. VDO style sensor is the one that should be remote mounted to keep away from vibration.

I’ll check to see if they give the measurements for the sensor, but might have to just buy to try it.

The gauge will be the oem unit in a cluster upgrade project we are working on.

If we hadn't broken a sensor off of an OFH and pumped all 5 qts on the ground in a matter of a minute, luckily right in front of a parts store that we were able to borrow some tools and limp it home with almost 5 qts of new oil. I never add any sensors to my OFH's now. They are all remote mount for safety. I don't need any MORE problems than a DSM already throws at me. ROFL I will never have that happen again. :thumb:. You choose how you want to mount it, and a lot of people have been fine with an accessory sensor directly on the housing. Ours had a failure so we don't do it anymore.

Another tip: Safety wire the oil filter on with a worm clamp. If that sucker comes loose, you will have problems too. I do that now since that also happened to us. Just a simple worm clamp and some wire to a solid point. Mine backed off during a pull. I shut it down immediately but knew the turbo was still ZOOMING with no oil pressure. I run a turbo filter now for a "reserve" of oil in case of immediate shut down to try to save the journal bearings in my turbos, if that is possible. I had to have the turbo rebuilt after that episode. All is good now tho (I think). Just oil related issues.
Carry on. Didn't mean to sidetrack the thread.

Another tip: Safety wire the oil filter on with a worm clamp. If that sucker comes loose, you will have problems too. I do that now since that also happened to us. Just a simple worm clamp and some wire to a solid point. Mine backed off during a pull. I shut it down immediately but knew the turbo was still ZOOMING with no oil pressure. I run a turbo filter now for a "reserve" of oil in case of immediate shut down to try to save the journal bearings in my turbos, if that is possible. I had to have the turbo rebuilt after that episode. All is good now tho (I think). Just oil related issues.
Carry on. Didn't mean to sidetrack the thread.

Great idea. This car is our DD, but we're going racing with our GT86, so we'll use that technique on that and maybe other cars, as well as share the advice. Thanks!

When I say "us" or "we", it is because my son(s) and I work together as much as possible for the learning experience, much like you and your son!
I love the family vibe! :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back