The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

OFH help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM_GSX01

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2011
La Junta, Colorado
yes i am going to be buying a new ofh and i need some help on deciding if i should get a forward facing housing or i read you can do EVO 8 or 9 oil housing on a 2g? is that true? I have a aftermarket oil gauge I have to put in also? it also has the stock gauge on that gauge. :thumb:. I would like to know witch one i should buy? also witch you have or have used and pictures would be good if you have them? oh and also i am going to be dropping my car on adjustable coil overs. thanks :hellyeah:

yea thats the one i read so i have been reading on both for awhile now. Is forward facing housing or EVo housing better to you? in your opinion?

yea after the bock i get put back in the car. but i would like an external oil cooler. i think it would be better on my engine.

and i am rebulding my 7 bolt block for a 2.3 stroker.

nice so i think i will. I got a might be able Find a forward housing that might be able to get eternal oil line cooler lines on.

Also on the forward facing is there anywhere if you could put oil cooler lines. And if not can you drill and tap holes to put some cooler lines. Thanks.

Just before i buy a oil filter housing. I want to know what EVO oil filter to buy? i am going to be running eternal oil lines in the near future. And i know the early oil filter housings are just like 7 bolt eclipse and the EVO 8 & 9 faces down. If you can help me out maybe with how you did this and maybe some pictures of yours. Thanks

Yea i have read that a lot thanks. So you can put all your stock 7 bolt housing gauge lights, and sensors in the EVO 9 correct? And you can have a external oil cooler right?

With the Evo 3 housing does it have were i can put all my stock gauges, and sensors? Also whats the difference on the EVO 3 and EVO 9? I know some things about them but not a whole lot. Thanks for the help.

The EVO III OFH has provisions for only one of the oil pressure gauge unit or the dummy light. Both sensors are 1/8" BSPT. The housing can be modified relatively easily to accept the second sensor; see: 7 bolt evo III oil filter housing on a 2g. Concerning that with the EVO VIII and IX housings, read: Evo 9 OFH in 2g.

The big difference between the EVO III and the VIII/IX housings is that the EVO III mounts the filter in the original location/orientation for your car. The IX housing mounts it facing downward and on the fender side of the housing, rather than the engine side. Aside from that and the number of correctly sized ports for the sensors, both of these style housings (EVO III and VIII/IX) are set up for external oil cooling.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for clearing up that confusion. I like the EVO 3 ofh because it looks stock without the cooler on it. I dont know if i should go with the EVO 8 or 9 because it faces downward and i am going to drop my car on adjustable coil overs?

I can see getting it away from the down pipe now and makes sense. It gets hot. And if you ever did a oil change when hot with a stock housing you get burned when doing it. I see now why you switched housings.

I am using my 2g OFH on my 6-bolt. I did the mod in this thread and it has pulled the filter quite a bit away from the DP.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...-simply-way-gain-some-downpipe-clearance.html

Simple, and free if you want to save yourself some money. I also wanted to keep all my sensors, and was able to add an aftermarket oil pressure gauge.

EDIT: Just saw you want external cooler lines. What was suggested above is good info.

Nice i think i am going to do that also. I am also going to run a external oil cooler so i will have to upgrade right?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back