The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Offset for 17x9 1g Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Those wheels wouldn't be the hub centric ones from the group buy though, correct?

Ask and you shall receive!! 17x9+45 rpf1. I am running 235/40/17 Nitto NT05. fronts fit fine. rears need the pinch weld on the lower trailing arm grinded down. Plus the rear needs a minimum 5mm spacer.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As good as that car looks, +45 offset is still not the ideal fit for optimal handling due to the change in the suspension geometry. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's going to be as good for handling on the track. What you gain in increased contact patch, you're compromising on the geometry change.

Does look really good though.

Ugh, there was a recent group buy for the Team Dynamics? :ohdamn: Serves me right for not having posted on this forum in ~3 years ... Any word on another one?

Ugh, there was a recent group buy for the Team Dynamics? :ohdamn: Serves me right for not having posted on this forum in ~3 years ... Any word on another one?
No word on a new one Kevin. I sent TD an email to see what we can do to make these available again, but received no reply.

If we get enough interested parties together, maybe we can twist their arm a little. :sneaky:

They're honestly not *that* expensive, street prices appear to be equivalent to similar-sized Enkei RPF1s, 5Zigen FN01R-Cs, Kosei K1s, and other spun/pressure cast wheels. I just can't find any other manufacturer that offers over-the-counter 17x9 +27mm sizing.

Another GB would be nice, I get PM inquiries rather often regarding these wheels. Some of the great things about them are, proper hub bore, well chosen size/offset works well with both 2g and 1g platforms and TONS of brake clearance.

Oh, and they look amazing too.

Another GB would be nice, I get PM inquiries rather often regarding these wheels. Some of the great things about them are, proper hub bore, well chosen size/offset works well with both 2g and 1g platforms and TONS of brake clearance.

Oh, and they look amazing too.

After looking at your gallery, I can perfectly see what they would look like on my car, and they don't stick out any farther than my stupid Centerline wheels.

They do. :cool:

Looks like you had to roll/pull your fenders out back though, or is that just an illusion?

I did. A none too pretty job of it either. I don't fret cosmetics much, this shell will likely wind up in a tire wall or two.

Writing off the shell is the last thing I'd need. :rolleyes: Rolling the rear fenders looks pretty hard since there's a weld right underneath the lip. Did you use a fender roller? I assume you ground the pinch weld on the trailing arm, too. Any tips?

Writing off the shell is the last thing I'd need. :rolleyes: Rolling the rear fenders looks pretty hard since there's a weld right underneath the lip. Did you use a fender roller? I assume you ground the pinch weld on the trailing arm, too. Any tips?

The possibility of tossing the shell is a reality when doing track days. It's why I chose a cheap-ish platform that was already a bit tossed up.

I rolled a jack handle over the tire, I wouldn't recommend this, it doesn't give an aesthetically pleasing result. The fender does not rub, however. Supposedly the Eastwood fender rolling device does a less schleppy job.

And yes, the pinch weld is ground off and re-welded. That is done well, as it is structural.

With the fenders rolled, would you say there's room to grow, with a wider width tire and/or wheel? Say, a 265/40 on a 9.5" wide wheel, or a 265/40 on your 9" TDs. It looks like you're running Bridgestone RE01Rs, and they look somewhat stretched.

With the fenders rolled, would you say there's room to grow, with a wider width tire and/or wheel? Say, a 265/40 on a 9.5" wide wheel, or a 265/40 on your 9" TDs. It looks like you're running Bridgestone RE01Rs, and they look somewhat stretched.

They are RE01R's and yes, they are stretched a bit. They are my "daily summer" tires and they don't rub on the frost heaved and potholed hell that is Milwaukee roads. I've read that a 275 has been used on 9" wheels but it seems that cutting and flares are then necessary.

I plan on eventually running a 255 R-compound for track weekends, probably like an NT-01.

I do not like the look of a stretched tire on a wheel. Just my opinion but to my way of thinking I want to put as fat of a tire as possible on the rim while still fitting properly. My 16x7s are wrapped in 225s. My 17x8s are wrapped in 235s. If I was going to jump up to a 9" wide rim I'd be wanting to run at least a 255. What's the point of all that rim with very little tire? You gotta remember that if you take the exact same wheel and compare a 17x7 to a 17x8 or 17x9, the wider wheels are going to weigh more. You're adding an additional inch or two of aluminum. In terms of handling and performance you're adding additional weight for no good reason. My 16x7s are strong as hell and weigh 16.0 pounds. My 17x8s are burly and still weigh 16 pounds flat. I like things to be as efficient as possible. Sure I could go with lighter wheels but I don't like the idea of my wheels flexing to the point of deformation like those 9 pound rotas on the nurenberg ring. Plus I have smacked a wheel into a curb before and dented it. Ordinarily the wheels I roadrace on are the same wheels I cruise around town on during good weather. I'd rather have some rubber protecting my rim if at all possible. I run the 16s at the drag strip and in the winter. The roads here are too bad for low profile in winter.

The 245s on the 9" tdr rims dont look stretched to me. I followed the whole thread about getting those wheels ordered and the group buy. I'm a fan. To me that's a serious racing wheel. Strong as hell and lightweight within reason without sacrificing strength. Huge back spacing for big brakes. Good stuff. Also good to see another WI dsmr on here. I'm looking to have twick 69 (tim zimmer) build my transmission as well.

And yes, the pinch weld is ground off and re-welded. That is done well, as it is structural.

Could someone elaborate on this weld? I'm really interested in this wheel setup but am not clear on this modification that needs to be done, and how to do it correctly. Does anyone have a picture? Also, to anyone running the 17x9 with the 27mm offset-are you all running coilovers or were you able to run a strut/spring combo of some type? I'm really interested in the Evo 9 MR Bilstein Struts conversion for 1g's that Tunersnation has, but am not sure that I could fit everything under the car. Thanks!

Last edited:
The 245s on the 9" tdr rims dont look stretched to me. I followed the whole thread about getting those wheels ordered and the group buy. I'm a fan. To me that's a serious racing wheel. Strong as hell and lightweight within reason without sacrificing strength. Huge back spacing for big brakes. Good stuff. Also good to see another WI dsmr on here. I'm looking to have twick 69 (tim zimmer) build my transmission as well.
In reality, the "stretched look" on my car may be an illusion caused by the sidewall shape, there is a thicker, tapered area near the bead to protect the rim and this makes the tire appear a bit stretched. I just measured the tread width, it's nearly 9".

(Tim builds a great transmission and is an awesome guy to work with.)

Could someone elaborate on this weld? I'm really interested in this wheel setup but am not clear on this modification that needs to be done, and how to do it correctly. Does anyone have a picture? Also, to anyone running the 17x9 with the 27mm offset-are you all running coilovers or were you able to run a strut/spring combo of some type? I'm really interested in the Evo 9 MR Bilstein Struts conversion for 1g's that Tunersnation has, but am not sure that I could fit everything under the car. Thanks!

The pinch weld is on the outside edge of the rear trail arms. It needs to be ground flush or the section can also be cut away and a plate welded in place. A cut and plated one can be seen in this thread, second photo: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/380744-rear-trailing-toe-arm-fab-work-1g-awd.html

The 17x9 setup would not work with stock-ish diameter springs, I'm fairly sure this was mentioned as one of the points in the original TDR group buy thread. Maybe swapping some EVO struts, cutting the lower perch mounts off and using some Ground Control sleeves is an option?

Last edited:
I just can't find any other manufacturer that offers over-the-counter 17x9 +27mm sizing.

On discount tire direct they offer a few mb motoring wheels in 17x9 +27mm offsets. My dad has been running the mb competition wheels(17x9 +17mm with 245/40/17 hoosier r6's) on our 240 for the past 3 years and they have held up great. Also, I've noticed a lot of factory 5 cars that run with NASA use them as well. They are relatively light, they look good, and they are inexpensive for the size. Here are a few links to 17x9 wheels:

MB Weapons(available in grey and bronze)
Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

MB Competitions:
Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

Here is a link to all 17x9 5x114.3 wheels in a variety of offsets on discount tire direct:
Wheel Products - Discount Tire Direct

Hey guys would this also work for a galantvr4 with a 5 lug swap
since it has the same basic geometry as the 1g's? Or would a +30
offset bring the wheel back in a bit?

Last edited:
blown- If you are on the GVR4 board, there is a guy from overseas that has Work XD9's in 18x9 30mm offset. They look sick, and require a little fender rolling, but I'm looking to do the same thing, just not sure if I want 17's or 18's yet.

Edit: Just saw your started thread on the board...

Here are a couple pics, I cranked the brightness up a lot in the first one to help show the tires.

I think that looks pretty gnarly man but any more it would look like a mexican low rider LOL

A few questions
Does anybody have pic of the MB weapons wheels on a 1g
What size tires do you recommend or use

Thanks in advance

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back