The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Official Bench Racing Thread (how fast is my car/how much HP can I expect)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a interesting question. I am currently running a 10:1 motor and everything is set correctly in link. I know lb/min if set right "should" give you a idea of power. Now has anyone ever seen how that is changed with high compression? Reason I ask is I tune a local car that at 47lb/min did 449whp. So around the right area. For fun I turned my car down to bout 48-49lb/min and we compared. Mine is still quite a lot faster. Car will be going on the dyno soon but I found it interesting as the normal guesstimate for mine appears to be off. After we are done on the dyno I am very interested to see how close it is to hp est in link and the lb/min guess.

I have a interesting question. I am currently running a 10:1 motor and everything is set correctly in link. I know lb/min if set right "should" give you a idea of power. Now has anyone ever seen how that is changed with high compression? Reason I ask is I tune a local car that at 47lb/min did 449whp. So around the right area. For fun I turned my car down to bout 48-49lb/min and we compared. Mine is still quite a lot faster. Car will be going on the dyno soon but I found it interesting as the normal guesstimate for mine appears to be off. After we are done on the dyno I am very interested to see how close it is to hp est in link and the lb/min guess.

Higher compression good. For knock and boost maybe not as good? For speed good.
You listed flow rated = 57 trim = 49lb/min or 60-1 = 65lb/min (RED)

Thats a pretty good sized turbo. I am going to say you run low 11s maybe into 10s.

I am on a hx40 with 62mm compressor and .82 hot side. Not sure of what it’s capable but I would assume 70lb/min+. The car strictly is e85 car and I tune it off reading plugs so knock is not a major concern. I have had it up in the mid 30s on boost at 12 degrees of timing with plugs clean and timing mark looking decent on plug. The set up flows around 57-58lb/min at 30psi but I have a well prepared car for some head flow.

My setup is very similar. Same compression, .82 hot side, HX40. I run the auto car at 33lbs and the stick car at 40+. I show similar flow numbers, sometimes into the 60's. I run up to 15* timing and cut it off there usually.
I have had fun with my son and his HX35 car and mine will pull on his. He has been 11.6 in the 1/4 and toasted a cylinder wall at the 1000' mark, coasting through the lights at only 95, where my trap speed is 117+, even on a very crappy 60'. You should be able to be in the low 11's, hi 10's with a good launch and the stars aligning! :thumb:

Ill play

9:1 wiseco
Dks 272 cams
Jmf race manifold
Xona rotor 65-56s 40psi e85
Fp cast manifold
S90 tb
525 pump
2150s

Hoping to get a 9 out of her. 5spd is built and car is completely gutted less dash

Ill play

9:1 wiseco
Dks 272 cams
Jmf race manifold
Xona rotor 65-56s 40psi e85
Fp cast manifold
S90 tb
525 pump
2150s
/QUOTE]

I'm guessing 700-750 hp, car weight around 2900, probably capable of 9s. Hard to guess what the weight is some people have got down to really low weights

dynoed 525awhp on old tune and tiny injectors so Im hoping to get another 50 or so out of it so yeah that would put me around 700 crank

dynoed 525awhp on old tune and tiny injectors so Im hoping to get another 50 or so out of it so yeah that would put me around 700 crank

what psi did you dyno at? Was it the same turbo, the Xona 6556? It looks like the 6556 flows 65lb/min. Nobody worries about crank hp because we don’t have a way to measure it. Just worry about whp. Anything over 600whp on a 65lb/min turbo is doing good

Ok I have a 97 eclipse gsx that is being redone right now buy a reputable builder. He's building a 2.4 stroker with forged everything. Also stage 3 race head, 272 cams, 880cc injectors, twin scroll turbo with custom manifold and external waistgate. He has a awd dino that will be used to tune it after break in. He said he will do a medium tune a 40psi. Any idea what kind of HP I'll be looking at??

Depends how your tuner and parts hold up! Could be 250 could be 500, we dont tend to bench race and guess here us your missing alot of details anyway, yoir turbo might be too small to make large power. But since your looking to run 40psi then its going to be a sizely turbo. Most of them parts are just to support the power, not make it!

Some may have similer setups but 2 or 5+ cars might make widely different power levels

Depends how your tuner and parts hold up! Could be 250 could be 500, we dont tend to bench race and guess here us your missing alot of details anyway, yoir turbo might be too small to make large power. But since your looking to run 40psi then its going to be a sizely turbo. Most of them parts are just to support the power, not make it!

Some may have similer setups but 2 or 5+ cars might make widely different power levels
I've had a lot of people try to turn me against it but I'm sticking with a auto transmission. Fully built with 3500 stall converter and munual shift box

I saw the title of this post and thought I might get in on this. I'm thinking I would go a little faster downhill than uphill....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I know what you're going to say... I got way too much time on my hands... My Spyder is in storage so what else am I going to do... ROFLROFLROFLROFL

So this is a little different than the usual HP question... Instead of "what do I need to get xxxHP?" I'm starting with a pile of parts and think it would be beneficial to have an idea moving forward of what I should expect, especially when it comes time to purchase a clutch and fuel system (open to recommendations). So to start I have a 7 bolt block with a 2.3 liter Eagle stroker kit "Eagle crank and rods with forged Pistons", a rebuilt head with Kelford 272 cams, AEM adjustable cam gears, Supertech springs, guides, retainers,and Manley valve locks, and lastly an EVO III 16g? turbo (they had both 18g and 14g written down but I think it's 16g based on the part number.) There's still a lot to inventory and I'm sure I'll need to aquire more parts so the rest is still TBD but I figure someone could get a pretty good idea based on that.

Well I don’t see you getting much past 400 if you make it there with that turbo. If you max the turbo out on e85 I’d ballpark 400. Seems that’s what will hold you back. 16gs are fun for street with really quick spool and full boost quickly but the rest of the rpm band is kind of boring after it hits.

Just my opinion

-Daniel

Evo III 16G is a 38 lb/min compressor which loosely translates into 380 crank horsepower. Some really-efficient builds have stretched this to 40 lb/min in the past. Without ethanol you're going to have a rough time making above 300 from all the turbine restriction but the torque will be killer.

Evo III 16G is a 38 lb/min compressor which loosely translates into 380 crank horsepower. Some really-efficient builds have stretched this to 40 lb/min in the past. Without ethanol you're going to have a rough time making above 300 from all the turbine restriction but the torque will be killer.
Torque is where the fun's at! Amiright?!

Well I don’t see you getting much past 400 if you make it there with that turbo. If you max the turbo out on e85 I’d ballpark 400. Seems that’s what will hold you back. 16gs are fun for street with really quick spool and full boost quickly but the rest of the rpm band is kind of boring after it hits.

Just my opinion

-Daniel
I'm really just looking for a fun ride to work and back so this sounds like it's actually leaning towards the right direction.

I'm really just looking for a fun ride to work and back so this sounds like it's actually leaning towards the right direction.
My 20g was fun for a while. But then I got the itch like I always do for more. Then I’d want more again a couple years later . I think a 16g is a good all around turbo for something daily drivable.

This is why I have 2 cars now. The other car gets all my leftovers from the main car. Instead of selling parts I just slap the ones that got upgraded to the handy down car LOL.

My other problem is a hate when someone else has a faster car on the same road. I don’t like the dsm being the slower of the 2. Happened too many times on the 20g LOL.

-Daniel

My other problem is a hate when someone else has a faster car on the same road. I don’t like the dsm being the slower of the 2. Happened too many times on the 20g LOL.

-Daniel

100% agreed, man. There’s a GT350R on the road next to mine that’s just asking to be gapped. Wouldn’t take much especially since his is stock and these roads suck. He refuses to race my edge from a dead stop. 100% sure the stock edge would gaptize him from a dig on these roads especially on the “killer” 93 tune. Lol. But from a roll he pulled a couple cars on me. An HX35 or 54mm equipped dsm would sure fix that…

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back